(Jaggers' list) [JB] Retained facade and front part of commercial premises, originally for the Co-Operative Society. Red brick with painted stucco dressings. Three storeys. Five bays, of which the outer bays are emphasised by quoins and have within them four-bay windows rising to triangular pediments. The centre bay contains a two-storey canted oriel, flanked by Ionic columns at second-floor level, and has a segmental pediment. Inscription 'Founded 1861' referring to the Colchester Co-Operative Society. Dentilled cornice. First-floor windows of Venetian type. [JB] Opened in 1905. ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1984, 1904, plan of shop, LONG WYRE Street, Colchester Co-operative Society (owner), Goodey and Cressall (architects), G. Dobson (builder) (not checked).
[Postcard of 1905 with kind permission of J Jephcott.]