Skip to main content

149 High Street (north)

Date
1929

DEMOLISHED: ONLY FRONT AND SIDE EXTERNAL WALLS SURVIVE

(Jaggers' list)

Built as showrooms with offices over in 1929 for Harold J Willett Ltd, ironmongers, following a major fire in 1927 which destroyed the many of the buildings at the west end of the High Street, north side.

Group value: makes a pair with its near contemporary no 147 High Street.

Designed by D.J. McPherson-Burton (architect) of Duncan, Clarke, & Beckett?? and built by Appleton & Son. See ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5387, 1929, building plan of showrooms and offices, High Street, Colchester.

See also ERO D/B 6 Pb3/4506, 1925, building plan of garage, High Street, Colchester,for Messrs. Harold J. WILLETT Ltd. (owner), by R.K. Derham (architect and builder)

[Old postcard by kind permission of J Jephcott.]

McPherson-Burton notes:
ERO D/DU 1407/1, 1871-1945, 'Letters, newscuttings and mementos of Doris Mary McPherson Burton (nee Preyman White), a teacher at St. Mary's School, Lexden c. 1920-45, chiefly concerning life during wartime
Inc. testimonial given by Irene M. Marsh, Principal, Physical Training College, Liverpool, for Doris White, 7 May 1913; letter of Pte Cecil D.M. White [?brother] from France 26 July 1916, with newspaper report of his death 27 July 1916; public notice of Mayor of Colchester regarding The Summer Time (Daylight Saving Act) 1916, to be enforced 2 am 21 May - 18 May 1916; cartoon Christmas card of 6th Tank Battalion, sent by Ptd. Dudley McPherson Burton (husb.), [?] 1918; copy of Duty Order of Doris Burton 22 October 1917, letter of James McPherson Burton (father-in-law) written Arminstice Day and describing celebrations in London 11 Nov.1918; 2 airline tickets for a tour of Britain with Sir Alan Cobham (Alan Cobham Aviation Ltd.) c. 1930; Government instruction leaflet `If the Invader Comes - what to do and how to do it' June 1940; public notices concerning `Temporary Transfer of Population' signed by Will Speir, Regional Commissioner [Colchester] ...'
ERO D/UCt Pb1/6733, 1935, building plan: conservatory 19 Vicarage Gardens Clacton, for J. McPherson Burton (owner), by Baker & Burton (builder, architect) (Exempted Building
ERO D/RH Pb1/179, 1929, building plan of bungalow, Braintree Road, Gosfield, for Mrs. Cunnington (owner), by D. J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/RT Pb1/2415, 1930, building plan of bungalow, Ardleigh Road, Bromley, for C.E. Studd (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and A.E. Flory [builder]
ERO D/RT Pb1/2054, 1928, building plan of house, Great Bentley, for H.J. Girling (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/RT Pb1/2294, 1929, building plan of converted railway carriage and shed, Wivenhoe, for Mr W.H. James (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/RT Pb1/2165, 1928, building plan of two lock-up garages, High Street, Thorpe-le-Soken, for W.C. Brown (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/RT Pb1/1976, 1927, building plan of pair of cottages, 60th Mile Stone, Weeley, for Clacton Garage Co. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/RT Pb1/1975, 1927, building plan of garage and flat, 60th Mile Stone, Weeley, for Clacton Garage Co. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5348, 1929, building plan of alterations and additions to schoolroom, Headgate Church, Chapel Street, Colchester, for Sunday School Building Committee (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and E.A. Cook and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5561, 1930, building plan of addition to Drawing Office, Culver Street, Colchester, for Messrs. Mumford Ltd. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Flory and Co. [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5356, 1929, building plan of garage, store and covered way, North Station Road, Colchester, for Messrs. The Priory Ltd. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and H. Everett and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5593, 1930, building plan of addition to stores, Culver Street, Colchester, for Messrs. A.G. Mumford Ltd. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Flory and Co. [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5534, 1930, building plan of house, Abbots Road, Colchester, for
Parochial Church Council of St. Giles with St. Barnabas (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and A.E. Sparrow [builder]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5490, 1930, building plan of additions and alterations to 123 High Street, Colchester, for Messrs. Mann Brothers (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Appleton and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5338, 1929, building plan of alterations and additions to 115 North Station Road, Colchester, for The Priory Ltd. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Hutton and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5542, 1930, building plan of houses, Audley Road, Colchester, for
W.H.S. Smith (owner) and [builder], by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5430, 1929, building plan of pair of houses, Audley Road, Colchester, W.H.S. Smith (owner) and [builder], by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5462, 1930, building plan of houses, Audley Road, Colchester, for
W.H.S. Smith (owner) and [builder], by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5564, 1930, building plan of house, Beech Hill, Lexden, Colchester, for H.M Shrubsole (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and
W. Chambers and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5518, 1930, building plan of house, South Street, Colchester, for
Mr J. Cooper (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and C. Fisher [builder]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5358, 1929, building plan of shop fronts, 9-10 St. John's Street, Colchester, for R. Prestney (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and H. Everett and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5533, 1930, building plan of four houses, Manor Road, Colchester,
for J.R.S. Wickham (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Appleton and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5157, 1928, building plan of house, Manor Road, Colchester, for A.R.P. Sherry (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Moss and Sons [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5535, 1930, building plan of additions to the Health Office, Trinity Street, Colchester, for Borough of Colchester Health Committee (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Flory and Co. [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5412, 1929, building plan of extensions to 115 North Station Road, Colchester, for Messrs. The Priory Ltd. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and W.H.S. Smith [builder]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5357, 1929, building plan of shop fronts, 15 St. John's Street, Colchester, for R. Prestney (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and
H. Everett and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5056, 1928, building plan of oil store, St. John's Street, Colchester, for Messrs. Beard and Son (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Flory and Co. [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5286, 1929, building plan of shop front and alterations, [St. John's Street], Colchester], for Messrs. Beard and Son Ltd. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON [architect] and Hutton and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5151, 1928, building plan of workshops and stores, St. John's Avenue, Colchester],for Messrs. Eastern Automobiles Ltd. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Flory and Co. [builder]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5183, 1928, building plan of workshops, West Stockwell Street, Colchester], for Mr S.E. Hunwick (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and [builder]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5036, 1927, building plan of store and workshop, rear of Chapel Street and St. John's Street, Colchester], for Messrs. Beard and Son (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Flory and Co. [builder]
ERO D/RLw Pb1/1728, 1928, building plan of alterations and additions to Copford Brook Cottage, Copford], for L.D. Burchall (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5337, building plan of [house, Victoria Road, Colchester], 1929,
for Mr R.C. Kidd [owner], by Mr J. McP. Burton (architect) and Flory and Co. [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/4958, 1927,building plan of houses, St. Clare Road, COLCHESTER],
for W. Chambers and Son (owners) and [builders], by D.J. Mc.P. BURTON (architect)
- and more plans by McPherson-Burton held by ERO

Notes for Baker and Burton:
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/6516, 1934, building plan of offices, show room, Bacon House, St. Peter Street, Colchester, for Messrs. BURTON, Son and Sanders Ltd. (owners), by
Baker and BURTON (architects) and W. Chambers and Sons [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/8195, 1939, building plan of alterations and additions to Maternity Home, Lexden Road, Colchester, for Borough of COLCHESTER (owner), by
Baker and BURTON (architects) and H. Everett and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/8360, 1940, building plan of alterations and additions to Canteen, Standard Works, Colchester, for Messrs. Davey, Paxman and Co. Ltd. (owners), by Baker and BURTON (architects) and W.A. Hills and Sons Ltd. [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/8194, 1939, building plan of alterations and amendments to Nurses' Home, Lexden Road, Colchester, for COLCHESTER Corporation [owner], by Baker and BURTON [architects] and H. Everett and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/8760, 1945, building plan of alterations to 10 Cambridge Road, COLCHESTER [missing]], for F.G. Roden [owner], by Baker and BURTON [architects]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7772A, 1937, building plan of development of land, new road, Layer Road, COLCHESTER, for Messrs. Nock Brothers (owners), by Baker and BURTON (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7940, 1938, building plan of pair of houses, Rainsborowe Road, COLCHESTER, for Messrs. Nock Brothers (owners) and [builders], by Baker and BURTON (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7856, 1938, building plan of house, Shrub End Road, COLCHESTER], for Messrs. Nock Brothers (owners) and [builders], by Baker and BURTON (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7709, 1937, building plan of offices, The Limes, Sir Isaac's Walk, COLCHESTER], for Messrs. Bland, Fielden and Co. (owners), by Baker and BURTON (architects) and H. Everett and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7611, 1937, building plan of five pairs of semi-detached houses, St. Andrew's Avenue, COLCHESTER], for A.E. Sparrow and Son (owners) and [builders], by Baker and BURTON (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7512, 1937, building plan of alterations to 153 High Street, COLCHESTER], for Messrs. T.D. Brook and Son (owners), by Baker and BURTON (architects) and Moss and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7122, 1935, building plan of house, Elianore Road, COLCHESTER], for S.G. Grant (owner), by Baker and BURTON (architects) and W.A. Hills and Son [builders]

- and more plans by Baker and Burton held by SEAX, and some missing plans by Baker and Burton catalogued by SEAX

*** biographical entry?? - and ref. '... Dudley James McPherson Burton (1890-1961), who succeeded to the practice [of Thomas Henry Baker]...' in 'Directory of British Architects 1834-1914', Brodie 2001
*** Thomas Henry Baker, architect - biographical entry in 'Directory of British Architects 1834-1914', Brodie 2001: 1852-1934, address Head Gate Court, Colchester; LRIBA (1910, proposed by W T Cressall), FRIBA; etc etc

Notes:
did Harold J Willett also own paint shop in Kendall Road?? [SEAX]

18 Fitzwalter Road

Date
1938/9?

One storey plus attic. Plain tiles, render. Architect-designed? Semi-circular door, red-brick stack. Recessed porch. Tile hung dormers.

The map evidence suggests that the building was erected c 1938-9. The only plans for this on SEAX are in D/B 6 Pb3/7827, 1938, Lieutenant-Colonel J. Thorburn (owner), Tomkins, Homer and Ley (architects), H. Everett and Son (builders). Not checked. Tomkins, Homer and Ley are associated with modernist buildings in Frinton.
[?revise]

16 Beverley Road (east side)

Date
1874-5

[JB] Large house by George Gard Pye for Charles Davey, 1874-5. Italianate, after the manner of Sir Charles Barry. Three storeys, with a four-storey tower in the middle of the front elevation. Arched windows, and pedimented gable to right. Cast iron columns.
A distinctive design in this neighbourhood, for a prominent client, one of the partners in the firm of Davey Paxman & Co. Pye was a well-known Colchester architect. The plot cost £1150 and the bill from the contractors, Henry Everett & Son, amounted to £2660 (A. Phillips, Steam and the Path to Glory (2002), p. 95). [JB]
Nos 14-16 form a group.

Davey, Paxman & Davey, Engineers was founded in 1865 by James Paxman, with capital provided by brothers Charles Davey and Henry Davey. The Davey brothers retired in 1877. See http://www.british-history.ac.uk and http://www.paxmanhistory.org.uk [jA]

1-2 High Street (south side)

Date
1936

[JB] Three-storey commercial building by Percy J. Bartlett for Boots the Chemist, 1936, in 'free-Georgian' style.  Ground floor almost entirely glazed, the upper two floors of red brick with stone dressings. Between the windows of the first and second floors are stone panels carved with images of chemists' jars etc, indicating the building's original purpose and very evocative of the period. A good building of its date occupying an important corner site. Bartlett was head of Boots Architects' Department, 1927-49, and designed most of the company's stores in a variety of styles appropriate to their locations (see Kathryn A. Morrison, English Shops and Shopping (English Heritage, 2003), pp 216-7, which mentions this building). [JB]

Built by Everetts of Colchester. Architects' drawings in Richard Shackle's collection.

Ref. in 'Essex' (Pevsner/Bettley 2007, 283).

Nos 1-4 form a group.

6-8 St Botolph's Street

Date
1882-85

[JB] Commercial premises, built between 1882 (following an extensive fire early that year) and c.1885. Three ground-floor shop units. Above the ground floor the building is faced in stone, with three full storeys above the middle shop and two storeys and attics above the outer shops. The centre is further emphasised by breaking forward slightly and having quoins. On the first floor of the centre a full-height tripartite window with pedimented centre. On the second and third floors two windows with segmental heads. Above the outer shops two full-height first-floor windows with cornices on consoles. On the second floor two straight-headed windows, and single gabled dormers above the parapet. Cast-iron balcony at first-floor level across the whole front. The upper floors originally housed a Church of England Soldiers' Institute, but this was short-lived and within about seven years became the headquarters of the Liberal Club, which also occupied one of the ground-floor shops. The construction of the ground floor incorporates simple arcading supported on cast-iron pillars, some of which are exposed or visible behind modern partitions. The interior of the building needs further investigation to establish how much survives of the original structure, particularly on the ground floor which could prove to be well preserved. The building is of significance because of its historical associations. The use of stone for the facade is unusual in the context of Colchester (otherwise mainly confined to the High Street) and indicates that the building was considered of particular importance at the time of its construction. Because of its materials, formal style, and height, the building makes a considerable impact on the street [JB] Nos 4-9 form a group. (Jaggers' list) 1 photo. by jA August 2009 [CAT Report 364: An archaeological evaluation at 8 St Botolph’s Street, Colchester, Essex: April 2006] [In 1909, no 6 was the premises of Fletcher Ltd, Meat stores. No 7 was the premises of the Liberal Club. No 8 was the premises of W Thursby, Florist & Fruiterer.]

[Old postcard reproduced with kind permission of J Jephcott; see Camulos web-site.]

See old postcard held by ERO: I/LS/COL/00014 (1890)

ERO D/B 6 Pb3/459, 1891, building plan of alterations to St. Botolph's Street, COLCHESTER, for Church of England SOLDIERS INSTITUTE (owner), by Whitfield and Thomas (architects)

[ERO C249, 1893, C/E Soldiers Institute, working drawings of Henry Everett and Son, builders]??

ERO holds: D/B 6 Pb3/1197- 'Building plan of alterations to 7-8 St. Botolph's Street, Colchester' (1898) [architects Goodey & Cressall for the Liberal Club]

ERO holds: D/B 6 Pb3/2284 - 'Building plan of new W.C., Yard at Liberal Club, St. Botolph's Street, Colchester' (1906)

ERO holds: D/DJ 2/19/17 - 'Sale catalogue of three lock up shops, 6-8 St. Botolph's Street, Colchester' (1928)

Subscribe to Everett, H & Son