Henry Winnock Hayward (1825-1893), son of architect Henry Hammond Hayward of Colchester. The two worked in partnership.
Henry W Hayward has an entry in the 'Directory of British Architects 1834-1914'. In 1868, his professional address was 3 Bank Buildings, Colchester.
One of two adjacent pairs of semi-detached houses (nos 2-4 (even) and nos 6-8 (even)). Gault brick, slate roof. Two storey, stucco. H W Hayward 1868.
[JB] Former rectory of All Saints' church, built in 1858 by H.W. Hayward for Rev. J.T. Round. Red brick with black diapering. Two gabled cross-wings project slightly towards the street. Carved stone plaques in the gables and also over the former front door. Ceased to be the rectory in 1953 and since altered. Hayward was a prominent Colchester architect who restored All Saints' Church in 1854-5. The rectory is relatively modest but important both for its contribution to the streetscape in this sensitive location and for its historic connection with the adjacent church. See VCH Essex, IX (1994), pp 309-10. [JB]
Intact. Adjacent to former All Saints' church which is a listed building.
[Old postcard with kind permission of J Jephcott.]