[JB] Parish church, 1854-5, by E.C. Hakewill. In the Early English style of the 13th century. Kentish rag with Caen stone dressings. Nave, chancel and north aisle. Shingled north-west tower. North organ chamber and vestries added by Duncan Clark & Beckett, 1933-4. Fittings included stained glass by T. Wilmshurst, 1855-c.1874, and E.J. Prest, 1902, as well as good-quality carved stone and woodwork.
Built to replace the medieval parish church of Mile End or Myland, whose foundations can be seen in Rectory Close half a mile to the south. Hakewill was a well known London architect who specialised in church buildings; he also designed the adjacent church hall (separately listed). Built with the aid of grants from the Incorporated Church Building Society and the Essex Church and Chapel Building Society. VCH Essex, IX (1994), p. 407-8. [JB]
['Mile End, the old church of St Michael, preliminary note', by M Davies, in CAG Bulletin, 19, p 21]
[JB] Church hall, originally school, by E.C. Hakewill, 1870-1, enlarged 1884. In the Early English style. Stone rubble with Caen stone dressings.
Built largely from material reused from the old parish church of Mile End or Myland, whose foundations can be seen in Rectory Close half a mile to the south. Estimated cost, £1000, given by Countess Cowper. Hakewill was a well known London architect who specialised in church buildings; he also designed the adjacent St Michael's Church (separately listed). 'The Builder', vol 28 (17 Sept 1870), p. 753; VCH Essex, IX (1994), p. 409. [JB]
The 'motto' or scripture seen above the door of the 1870s says "The fear of the LORD [Jehovah] is the beginning of wisdom". Psalms 111:10. The church hall was refurbished in 2009-10.