Skip to main content

Congregational Church spire, LION WALK (east side)

Grade II. 1863. By Frederick Barnes of Ipswich, spire rebuilt after the 1884 earthquake. Random stone; in the Decorated Gothic style. 5 bay nave, each with a tall 3-light window with cinquefoil heads and diamond lattices. 4-light window with 3 roundels in the head on the west front. Tall octagonal steeple, cement rendered. Slate roof. [NOTE: ONLY TOWER SURVIVES. THE REST WAS DEMOLISHED IN THE 1970s.]

[Old postcard of 1906 reproduced with kind permission of J Jephcott; see Camulos web-site.]

Subscribe to Frederick Barnes