W F Poulton, 1844. Gault brick and stucco front. 3 window centre with pilasters and altered pediment. 2 roun-arched doorways and central window, with impost moulding. Blind side bays. Sides of yellow brick; strip pilasters and long round arched windows. 2 cast iron lamps brackets.
From Essex Record Office online catalogue(SEAX) http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/result_details.asp?DocID=876674
Headgate Congregational Church was founded in June 1843; the church building in Chapel Street, Colchester CO2 7AT, opened in June 1844. Gutted by fire in November 1968, it was restored and re-opened in May 1970. In 1972 the church joined the United Reformed Church. The last service at the original church building was held in October 1978. The building was sold and was later converted into a theatre for use by amateur groups. Headgate United Reformed Church moved to the new Christ Church, Ireton Road, Colchester CO3 3AT, dedicated in March 1978. Christ Church was built as a Local Ecumenical Partnership, shared between Headgate United Reformed Church and the Anglican parish of Christ Church with St Mary-at-the-Walls, Colchester (for records of which see D/P 246). In 1985 the URC congregation changed its name to Christ Church United Reformed Church. For further details of the church's early history see James W. Newby, The story of Headgate. A record of the origin and progress of the church of the Congregational order in Chapel Street, Colchester, Essex. 1843-1944 (1944).
[Old postcard with kind permission of J Jephcott.]