W E Mason - see also Messrs. William MASON and Son Ltd., architects and builders
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7050, 1935, building plan of bungalow, St. Andrew's Avenue, COLCHESTER, for Misses E.M. and M. Wilson (owners), by W.E. MASON (architect and builder)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/6523, 1934, building plan of bungalow, By-Pass Road, COLCHESTER for W.E. MASON (owner, architect) and [builder]
1836 by William Mason. Early example of Norman revival of remarkable quality. Aisled nave with shallow sanctuary. Built in gault brick with much moulded enrichment especially to west tower. 3 light windows with roundels above, parapet to roof. Galleried interior essentially C18 in character with arcades on high piers, plain waggon ceiling, aisles groined.
[2 photo.s by jA]
Old postcard by kind permission of J Jephcott.
*** in painting by Charles Debenham 'Invasive fag-ends of the four-poster house', Colchester' (date??)
SA 8/397/1 - created 1988
Title: Memories of Colchester from 1900 - Domestic Service and Married life
Speaker(s): Warner, Ellen
Synopsis of tape: Interview with Mrs Ellen Warner, born Colchester 1891; father a house decorator, later publican at The Bell in Priory Street; went into domestic service as house parlour maid in London when 15, then Braxted Park - home of nephew of Gladstone - and Debden Hall; working conditions and pay; married in 1917 to monumental mason, rented house in St Julian Grove where lived for 70 years; regular church-goer to St Botolph's; memories of houses and shops in area.