Built 1845, by Raphael Brandon, as a Corn Exchange, much of it reconstructed in 1925-6 and adapted as an art gallery. Has portico entrance with 2 Ionic columns, stucco ground floor and arched doorways.
Ref. in 'Essex' (Pevsner/Bettley 2007, 283).
Nos 156 to 158 (consec) and Albert Hall form a group.
[Old postcards: above, of the Albert School of Art; below, with the kind permission of J Jephcott, of the School of Science and Art in 1909.]
SA 8/549/1 - created 1988
Title: Theatre in Colchester
Speaker(s): Richards, Olga; Phillips, Andrew
Synopsis of tape: Interview with Olga Richards, born 1915, former theatre manager Mercury Theatre, Colchester; account of early career on stage in ENSA; description of the Albert Hall Theatre of which she was appointed Manager in 1964 and its facilities - shows, prices, actors' hours and salaries; leading personalities associated with Colchester theatre, including Bernard Mason, and fund-raising activities to build new theatre; origins of Mercury Theatre, concept and design, facilities, departments and staffing - programmes; account of 50th anniversary celebrations of Colchester repertory company in 1987; description of 18th century cottages in St Johns Green, development of area and anecdotes about history of the Green.