[JB] Three-storey commercial building by Percy J. Bartlett for Boots the Chemist, 1936, in 'free-Georgian' style. Ground floor almost entirely glazed, the upper two floors of red brick with stone dressings. Between the windows of the first and second floors are stone panels carved with images of chemists' jars etc, indicating the building's original purpose and very evocative of the period. A good building of its date occupying an important corner site. Bartlett was head of Boots Architects' Department, 1927-49, and designed most of the company's stores in a variety of styles appropriate to their locations (see Kathryn A. Morrison, English Shops and Shopping (English Heritage, 2003), pp 216-7, which mentions this building). [JB]
Built by Everetts of Colchester. Architects' drawings in Richard Shackle's collection.
Ref. in 'Essex' (Pevsner/Bettley 2007, 283).
Nos 1-4 form a group.