Skip to main content

T H Baker

SEAX:
* ERO D/B 6 Pb2/108, 1878, building plan of eleven pairs of cottages, Town Field Estate, COLCHESTER, for Devonshire Place Building Co. (owner), by H. BAKER (ARCHITECT)??
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1063, 1896, building plan of two villas, Creffield Road, COLCHESTER, for J.B. Winter (owner), by T.H. BAKER (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb2/176, 1879, building plan of pair of houses, Alexandra Road, COLCHESTER, for Mr. Branton (owner), by H. BAKER (ARCHITECT)??
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/773, 1894, building plan of two houses, George Street, Colchester, for Mrs. Stevens (owner), by T.H. BAKER (architect)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/3257, 1913, building plan of The British Hotel, Layer Road, COLCHESTER, for Daniell and Sons Breweries Ltd. (owner), by J.H. BAKER (ARCHITECT)
and [T.J. Ward (builder)]??
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/3389, 1914, building plan of alterations to Angel Hotel, High Street, COLCHESTER, for Nicholl and Co. Ltd. (owner), by T.H. BAKER (ARCHITECT)and [R. Beaumont (builder)]
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/3463, 1915, building plan of The Queens Hotel, Berechurch Road, COLCHESTER, fr Nicholl and Co. (owner), by T.H. BAKER (ARCHITECT) and T.G. Went [builder]
- and other documents held by the ERO

the Queen's Hotel pub., Berechurch Road

Date
1915

Purpose-built red-brick public house and hotel on a corner site;slate roof. Unusual windows. Situated just outside the garrison perimeter, over the road from the garrison fence.

D/B 6 Pb3/3463, 1915 The Queens Hotel for Nicholl and Co. Designed by T.H. Baker (architect) and built by T.G. Went.

[Listed publicans:
1902-1908 - George Shurey
1908-1933?? - Ernest Warner]

1 Layer Road (west side) - the Drury Arms Public House

Date
1913

[JB] Public house. By T.H. Baker, 1913, for Daniell & Sons. Brick ground floor and plastered first floor. Two projecting gables with decorative plasterwork, including a lion's head holding garlands.
A good example of pub architecture, occupying a prominent corner site; by a well-known local architect for a well-known local brewery. Originally known as the British Hotel, replacing the establishment of that name in West Stockwell Street. Plans in Essex Record Office (D/B6 Pb3/3257). See Jess A. Jephcott, The Inns, Taverns and Pubs of Colchester (1995), pp 127-8. [JB]

Prominent position. All hatches at the back. [Imitation pargetting?]
Designed by T H Baker and built by T J Ward.

--------------------

In 1912, Messrs Daniell & Sons applied to transfer the licence of the British Hotel in West Stockwell Street to premises at the junction of Drury Road and Layer Road; there were objections but permission was eventually granted, and the public house was built in 1913, before the start of WW1 in 1914. (Mr Charles Clark, secretary of the Football Club, had supported the application on the understanding that dressing-room accommodation was provided for visiting football teams, with baths, dinner rooms, etc.) It was initially called the British Hotel but, later, renamed the Drury Hotel after Drury Road. In c 1959, Trumans acquired the public house. In c 1965, it was renamed the Drury Arms. Apparently the Drury Arms was known as 'the footballers' pub.', because of its proximity to the football ground in Layer Road. In 1973, it was acquired by Tolly Cobbold. In 1991, it was acquired by Brent Walker. In 1995, its then owners PubMaster undertook extensive renovation work on the building. The pub. closed in ????.
jA
[Information from "The inns, taverns and pub.s of Colchester" by J Jephcott, 1995 (2012), also published online at http://www.camulos.com/inns/1INTRO.htm .]

List of publicans:
1917/Frank Spencer
1925/William Driscoll
1933/Arthur London
1937/Arthur London
1958/Charles Amey

----------------

Architect T H Baker:
Thomas Henry Baker, architect - biographical entry in 'Directory of British Architects 1834-1914', Brodie 2001: 1852-1934, address Head Gate Court, Colchester; LRIBA (1910, proposed by W T Cressall), FRIBA. THB worked as a partner of Baker & May with E E May, then as T H Baker, and then as a partner of Baker & Burton with Dudley McPherson Burton. Burton took over their architectural practice on THB's death. [W T Cressall was a Colchester architect who worked in partnership with two of the most important architects in the town; firstly, with J F Goodey and, later, with Duncan Clark.]

Other surviving buildings designed by THB -
The Queens Hotel in Berechurch Road [on local list - http://colchesterhistoricbuildingsforum.org.uk/drupal/node/1448 ]

Surviving buildings designed by Baker & May -
17-18 High Street [on local list - http://colchesterhistoricbuildingsforum.org.uk/drupal/node/300 ]
171 Lexden Road [on local list - http://colchesterhistoricbuildingsforum.org.uk/drupal/node/1646 ]

Surviving buildings designed by Baker & Burton -
2 Church Street [on local list - http://colchesterhistoricbuildingsforum.org.uk/drupal/node/1222 ]

The Essex Record Office holds the following documents -
SEAX:
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/3257, 1913, building plan of The British Hotel, Layer Road, COLCHESTER, for Daniell and Sons Breweries Ltd. (owner), by T.H. BAKER (ARCHITECT) and [T.J. Ward (builder)]??
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/3463, 1915, building plan of The Queens Hotel, Berechurch Road, COLCHESTER, fr Nicholl and Co. (owner), by T.H. BAKER (ARCHITECT) and T.G. Went [builder]
* ERO D/B 6 Pb2/108, 1878, building plan of eleven pairs of cottages, Town Field Estate, COLCHESTER, for Devonshire Place Building Co. (owner), by H. BAKER (ARCHITECT)??
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1063, 1896, building plan of two villas, Creffield Road, COLCHESTER, for J.B. Winter (owner), by T.H. BAKER (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb2/176, 1879, building plan of pair of houses, Alexandra Road, COLCHESTER, for Mr. Branton (owner), by H. BAKER (ARCHITECT)??
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/773, 1894, building plan of two houses, George Street, Colchester, for Mrs. Stevens (owner), by T.H. BAKER (architect)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/3389, 1914, building plan of alterations to Angel Hotel, High Street, COLCHESTER, for Nicholl and Co. Ltd. (owner), by T.H. BAKER (ARCHITECT)and [R. Beaumont (builder)]

* D/B 6 Pb3/1184, 1898, building plan of house, Inglis Road, Colchester, for W. Claridge, by BAKER and May (architect)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1614, 1901, building plan of twenty houses, Harsnett Road, COLCHESTER, for E. Pennick (owner), by BAKER and May (ARCHITECTs) and [Pennick and Taylor (builders)]
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1940, 1903, building plan of additions to Drury Lodge, Drury Lane, Butt Road, COLCHESTER, for Major Jenks (owner), by BAKER and May (ARCHITECTs) and R. Beaumont (builder)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2019, 1904, building plan of cast-iron church, Hospital Land Estate, Goring Road/Maldon Road, COLCHESTER, for St. Mary's Parish (owner), by BAKER and May (ARCHITECTs) and F. Smith and Co. (builders)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2186, 1905, building plan of making up new roads and drainage, Lexden Heath Estate (? Nelson, Trafalgar and Collingwood Roads), COLCHESTER, for P.R.Papillon (owner), by BAKER and May (ARCHITECTs)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2185, 1905, building plan of additional storey, 8 Cambridge Road, COLCHESTER, for Colonel Tyler (owner), by BAKER and May (ARCHITECTs) and T.J. Ward (builder)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2474, 1907, building plan of two houses, Lexden Park Estate, COLCHESTER, for R. Mayhoe (owner), by BAKER and Wrightson (ARCHITECTs) and R. Mayhoe (builder)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1681, 1902, building plan of Hamilton Road, COLCHESTER, Errington's Trustees (owner), by BAKER and May (ARCHITECTs and surveyors)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1401, 1899, building plan of High School, Wellesley Road, COLCHESTER, for Mr. and Mrs. Grone (owners), by BAKER and May (ARCHITECTs)

ERO D/B 6 Pb3/6516, 1934, building plan of offices, show room, Bacon House, St. Peter Street, Colchester, for Messrs. BURTON, Son and Sanders Ltd. (owners), by Baker and BURTON (architects) and W. Chambers and Sons [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/8195, 1939, building plan of alterations and additions to Maternity Home, Lexden Road, Colchester, for Borough of COLCHESTER (owner), by Baker and BURTON (architects) and H. Everett and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/8360, 1940, building plan of alterations and additions to Canteen, Standard Works, Colchester, for Messrs. Davey, Paxman and Co. Ltd. (owners), by Baker and BURTON (architects) and W.A. Hills and Sons Ltd. [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/8194, 1939, building plan of alterations and amendments to Nurses' Home, Lexden Road, Colchester, for COLCHESTER Corporation [owner], by Baker and BURTON [architects] and H. Everett and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/8760, 1945, building plan of alterations to 10 Cambridge Road, COLCHESTER [missing]], for F.G. Roden [owner], by Baker and BURTON [architects]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7772A, 1937, building plan of development of land, new road, Layer Road, COLCHESTER, for Messrs. Nock Brothers (owners), by Baker and BURTON (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7940, 1938, building plan of pair of houses, Rainsborowe Road, COLCHESTER, for Messrs. Nock Brothers (owners) and [builders], by Baker and BURTON (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7856, 1938, building plan of house, Shrub End Road, COLCHESTER], for Messrs. Nock Brothers (owners) and [builders], by Baker and BURTON (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7709, 1937, building plan of offices, The Limes, Sir Isaac's Walk, COLCHESTER], for Messrs. Bland, Fielden and Co. (owners), by Baker and BURTON (architects) and H. Everett and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7611, 1937, building plan of five pairs of semi-detached houses, St. Andrew's Avenue, COLCHESTER], for A.E. Sparrow and Son (owners) and [builders], by Baker and BURTON (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7512, 1937, building plan of alterations to 153 High Street, COLCHESTER], for Messrs. T.D. Brook and Son (owners), by Baker and BURTON (architects) and Moss and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7122, 1935, building plan of house, Elianore Road, COLCHESTER], for S.G. Grant (owner), by Baker and BURTON (architects) and W.A. Hills and Son [builders]

----------

Notes:
From Wikipedia - '... Layer Road was a Football League stadium in Colchester, England. It was only used for football matches and was the home ground of Colchester United before being replaced by the Weston Homes Community Stadium. The stadium held 6,320 spectators and was built in 1907, originally for use by Colchester Town Football Club. Layer Road has often had up to 17,000 packed into the ground, when Colchester had been on a good FA Cup run, before the capacity was reduced to 6,320. The record attendance at Layer Road is 19,072 for an FA Cup fixture against Reading in November 1948, a match that was abandoned. The ground was also used to host Sudbury Town's FA Cup match against Brentford in 1996, as their Priory Stadium was deemed unfit.

The most recent development to the ground was the construction of a small, temporary seating stand for housing away supporters. It held 143 supporters and was similar to the chocolate boxes at The Dell.

The last match at Layer Road took place on 26 April 2008, when Colchester lost 1-0 to Stoke City, with Richard Cresswell scoring the last goal at the stadium.

The stadium was locked for the last time on 17 July 2008 after 98 years in use (71 of them as the home of Colchester United), being demolished by the end of the year. In 2011 a deal was signed to build flats and houses on the site, with a central open grassed space to reflect its history as a football ground. In mid-2012, Layer Road was demolished with the construction of houses commencing immediately ...'

See images at http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=12504

--------------

Subscribe to T H Baker