Skip to main content

Railway Mission Hall, North Station Road (west side)

Date
1896

[JB] Former Railway Mission Hall by William Willett, 1896. Stock brick with red brick dressings. Arched windows and doorway,the latter with columns. Gabled front with lettering '1896 RAILWAY MISSION'.
An interesting survival and part of Colchester's railway heritage. The hall was built for the Colchester Branch of the National Railway Mission; contractor, Robert Beaumont of Lexden. Plans in Essex Record Office (D/B 6 Pb3/987); see also 'The Builder', vol. 71 (29 Aug 1896), p. 178. [JB]

Ref. in 'Essex', Pevsner/Bettley 2007, p 289.

Subscribe to W Willett