Much altered C16 building, 2 storeys the roofs tiled. The upper storey projects on the north front and there are 2 original curved brackets springing from attached shafts with moulded capitals. Modern plaster work and ground floor brick front. Interior has heavy original ceiling beam with curious mouldings.
Drawings by buildings expert Richard Shackle.
1822-1845 - James Chamberlain
1845 - Everard Willett, Coal Merchant
1848-1855 - Mrs Maria Willett
1855-1867 - Elijah Langley
1867 - Mrs. Charlotte Wade
1870-1874 - Elijah Langley
1874 - James Adams
1878-1894 - Joshua Francis (also of the Rising Sun)
1894-1908 - John Summers or Somers
1908-1912 - William Lord
1912 - Mrs. Sarah Lord
1917-1933?? Mrs. Sarah Clarke
1933 - George E. Worth]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/3043, 1911, building plan of alterations to QUEEN's Head, HYTHE HILL, COLCHESTER, for COLCHESTER Brewing Co. (owner), by J.W. Start (architect) and [H. Everett and Son (builders)]