[JB] Railway station, for Great Eastern Railway (up side), 1894-6. By John Wilson, chief engineer to the GER, and W.N. Ashbee, staff architect. Red brick with stone dressings. Symmetrical range, 300 ft long, in loosely Baroque style. Erected by Bateman & Co. of Ramsey, Hunts (contract price £8,725); ironwork by Handyside & Henderson, Derby.
An impressive building, still largely in its original state, apart from the insertion of some modern doorways and windows and single-storey extensions at either end, c.1960. The original platform canopies have been replaced. The down side station was rebuilt in 1961. See Peter Kay, Essex Railway Heritage (2006), pp 39-40, and supplement (2007), p 89; also Building News, vol 70 (1896), p 728, and The Builder, vol 70 (1896), p 408. [JB]
Ref. in 'Essex', Pevsner/Bettley 2007, p 278.
See image of, c 1950, at http://www.whatwasthere.com/browse.aspx#!/ll/51.889669,0.89628800000002…
SA 8/401/1 - created 1988
Title Memories of Colchester in the Twenties and Thirties
Speaker(s): Cant, Edward G.
Synopsis of tape: Interview with Edward G. Cant, born Colchester 1919, one of 10 children; father disabled during War, died 1929; hard living conditions as child - spare-time jobs and childhood activities; stories about gangs and fights with soldiers; unemployment in town during thirties; errand boy, warehouse lad; joined LNER as engine cleaner 1937, progressing to driver - with railway 46 years - working conditions, promotion, pay; amateur boxing; dog racing; Blackshirts in Colchester - Fascists HQ, meetings, clashes, Moseley; building of by-pass - how men recruited - strike; Freeman of Colchester by inheritance - history, traditions, rights; anecdotes about Colchester, personalities and characters.