Skip to main content

E E May

Edward Ernest May, of Colchester, 1858-1938

Designed 17-19 Honywood Road (in Other buildings section).

[Did he design Sandwich civic war memorial in Kent?]

See also Baker & May and T H Baker; E E May was in partnership with Thomas Henry Baker. T H Baker LRIBA FRIBA is listed in 'Who's Who in architecture' (1914, 1923, 1926) and in the 'Directory of British Architects 1834-1914'. Architect Charles Rand Overy was articled to Baker and May. The obituary of E E May was published in 'The Builder', volume 154, p 196, in 1938, according to the 'Directory of British Architects 1834-1914'.

SEAX:
* ERO D/UH Pb1/187, 1909, BUILDING plan of Baptist Chapel, COLCHESTER Road, Halstead, for Trustees of Baptist Church (owner), by E. Ernest MAY (architect)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2517, 1907, BUILDING plan of two houses, Lexden Road, Lexden Park, COLCHESTER, for R. MAYhoe (owner), by E.E. MAY (architect)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2476, 1907, BUILDING plan of house, Myland, COLCHESTER, for B.E. Cant (owner), by E.E. MAY (architect) and R. Beaumont (builder)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2517, 1907, BUILDING plan of two houses, Lexden Road, Lexden Park, COLCHESTER, for R. MAYhoe (owner), by E.E. MAY (architect)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2553, 1908, BUILDING plan of two houses, Honywood Road, COLCHESTER, for W. Claridge (owner), by E.E. MAY (architect) and [R. Beaumont (builder)]
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2769, 1909, BUILDING plan of Rectory, Lexden Road, COLCHESTER, for Revd. J.M. Evans (owner), by E.E. MAY (architect) and R. Beaumont (builder)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2891, 1910, BUILDING plan of additons and alterations to Stanway All Saints Schools, for The Managers (owner), by E.E. MAY (architect) and [T.J. Ward (builder)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2999, 1911, BUILDING plan of offices, Myland Road, COLCHESTER, for B.R. Cant and Sons (owners), by E.E. MAY (architect) and G. Dobson and Son (builders)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/3234, 1913, BUILDING plan of Parish Hall, London Road, Lexden, COLCHESTER, for Revd. Evans (owner), by E.E. MAY (architect) and R. Beaumont (builder)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2948, 1911, BUILDING plan of bungalows, Bergholt Road, COLCHESTER, for W. Cowley (owner), by E.E. MAY (architect) and W. Cowley (builder)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2913, 1910, BUILDING plan of cottage, Bergholt Road, COLCHESTER, for W. Cowley (owner), by E.E. MAY (architect)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2612, 1908, BUILDING plan of house, Lexden (Magazine Farm area), COLCHESTER, for C.D. Keigwin (owner), by E.E. MAY (architect) and R. Beaumont (builder)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/3315, 1914, BUILDING plan of alterations and additions to 67-69 East Street, COLCHESTER, for E.W. Bailey (owner), by E.E. MAY (architect) and Beaumont (builder)

Old Rose Nursery, Mile End Road.

Date
1911

[JB] Former offices of B. R. Cant & Sons, designed by E. E. May, 1911. Red brick. Single storey. Central entrance with lunette window over doorway and Dutch gable.

By an interest local architect for a prominent Colchester businessman. May also designed Cant's house in Nayland Road, a little to the north of this building. Plans in Essex Record Office (D/B 6 Pb3/2999). Exterior unaltered, including original windows. [JB]

2 Nayland Road, Mile End (west side)

Date
1907

[JB] House, 1907. By E.E. May for B.E. Cant. Roughcast, with three gables to the front. Pargeting round the front door, with canted oriel over it and large staircase window to the left.
An interesting design in the Arts and Crafts idiom by a well-known local architect for a prominent local rose-grower. Cant is listed in Kelly's Directory (1911) at Myland Lodge, Colchester. Plans in Essex Record Office (D/B 6/Pb3/2476). [JB]

The buildings of England: Essex by James Bettley and Nikolaus Pevsner (2007), 598.

E E May also designed the High School in Wellesley Road, c 1902, the old Rose Nursery for Cants', and 17-19 Honywood Road; and, as a partner in Baker & May, was involved in works at Lexden St Leonard's church in 1897; the schoolroom of Headgate chapel; 17 High Street, 1901; and a house in Frinton called 'Corners'.

'... The cultivation of fruit, vegetables, and flowers by small family businesses was still widespread, and produce could be transported quickly by railway to London. Benjamin Cant's nursery business, which was established in 1853 and moved to Mile End in 1879, and his nephew Frank Cant's rose farm, established at Braiswick in 1875, both developed into specialist rose-growing enterprises of national and international repute. The work was still labour intensive in the early 20th century; at Mile End c. 50 people were employed outdoors and a few more in the office, and extra, temporary, workers were taken on seasonally for budding and other tasks. The bulk of business was in field roses and seedlings, but supplying petals for rose-tipped cigarettes was an unusual sideline; as newer methods were introduced the number of employees fell from more than 50 before 1914 to 30-40 by the 1930s ...' - www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=21987

See also CANT, William, Colchester nursery/seedsman, St John's Street, in Pigot & Co's directory of Essex 1823/24

See 'Cants of Colchester Centenary booklet' by A Pawsey

Wellesley Road (west side), Colchester High School

Date
1902

[JB] School, c. 1902, by E.E. May. Queen Anne Revival Style. Red brick. Large Venetian windows set in pedimented gables. Arched doorway to main entrance with swan-neck pediment.
Founded as Minden House school, 1882; moved to the present site c. 1902 (VCH Essex, IX (1994), p 365). The design is old-fashioned for its date, but 'Queen Anne' remained the accepted style for modern schools as it was seen as enlightened, contrasted with old-fashioned Gothic. May (1858-1938) was a leading Colchester architect; this building is indentified as one of his works in his obituary in The Builder, vol 154 (28 Jan 1938), p. 196. [JB]

Subscribe to E E May