Formerly church hall of St Magdalen church. Now Liberal Democrat party building. Built c 1906 probably.
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2230, date 1905, Building plan of Parish and Club Room, St. Mary Magdalene, WIMPOLE ROAD, Parish (owner), W. Chambers (builder),
C.E. Butcher (architect). [Not checked.]
Built just after 1901 as an extension and partial rebuilding of the Angel Hotel (Angel Inn). ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1618 (not checked), Nicholl and Co. (owner), C.E. Butcher (architect), A. Diss (builder)
Fine, purpose-built Edwardian public house in prominent corner position. Plaque in apex giving date of 1907. Built for Truman, Hanbury, Buxton and Co. Ltd and designed by C.E. Butcher in 1907 as a replacement for The Gardeners Arms Inn. (Address at this time: Stanwell Street).
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2449. (Not checked.)
List of publicans:
1861 Census (William Tyler, Inn Keeper, lived there with his wife Elizabeth Tyler, and their children Angelina Tyler, Assistant BarMaid, Robert Tyler, Apprentice and George Tyler, a niece Eliza Minter, House Servant, and two lodgers Sarah Brewer, Labourers Wife, and Kazia Williams, Tailoress)
1862/ William Tyler
1886/Charles Hawkins/Beer Retailer
1894/Charles Hawkins/Beer Retailer
1898/Charles Hawkins/Beer Retailer
1899/C. Hawkins/Beer Retailer
1902/Charles Hawkins/Beer Retailer
1908/Mrs. Ellen Hawkins/Beer Retailer
1912/Herbert William White/Beer Retailer
1914/Herbert William White / Beer Retailer
'... The pub was built as a beer house in 1915?? by Trumans in an architectural style typical of the time, replacing an earlier beer house which stood on the same plot and which was known as the Gardener's Arms. A picture of this earlier pub hangs up behind the bar ...' - source deadpubs.co.uk
1917/Mrs. Kate White/Beer Retailer
1925/William Jackson/Beer Retailer
1933/Michael Albert O'Halloran/Beer Retailer
[Note: Premises only named in 1862 & 1867]
School, 1894, by C.E. Butcher. Red brick. Single storey. Large arched window to school room, round-headed dormers, and bellcote.
A nicely detailed design by a local architect. Drawings in Essex Record Office (D/B 6/Pb3/769). VCH Essex, IX (1994), p. 418. [JB]
Built with hand-made bricks from Old Heath brickworks.
[JB] School, by C. E. Butcher, 1905-6. Red brick. Single storey, with half-hipped gables and dormers and wooden bellcote.
A distinctive and nicely detailed building by a local architect. Plans dated 1905, building dated 1906. Plans in Essex Record Office (D/B 6/Pb3/2231). Opened 1907 according to VCH Essex, IX (1994), p. 409. [JB]
Early two-storey shop-front? - 1900? Needs investigation. Street was renumbered. This was probably formerly no 25 (see Insurance map of 1909) in which case it was a shop built in 1900 (ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1446, 1900, 1 plan, Building plan of shop, 25 Long Wyre Street, C.E. Butcher (owner and architect) - not checked.
[RS]Large upper window for displaying goods. [RS]
Postcard of 1906 with kind permission of J Jephcott.]
Row of single-storey brick almshouses by C.E. Butcher, 1897 and 1905. For Lady D'Arcy's Charity. Now shops.
A modest but interesting addition to the street scene, on a scale that is appropriate for a narrow street now pedestrianised. By a local architect. Plans in Essex Record Office (D/B Pb3/1060, 2204).
Residential until late 20th century; Lady D'Arcy's almshouses now off East Hill.
Holy Trinity parish.
Ref. in 'Essex' (Pevsner/Bettley 2007, 290).
ERO D/P 323/25/1: monochrome photograph of Lady Darcy's charity almshouses in ELD LANE, Colchester, 1933
Plaque on east end gable wall states:
Holy Trinity Colchester.
Lady D'Arcy's Charity.
Six Almshouses Rebuilt 1897 and 1905.
Rev. John Bush Early. Rector.
E Thomson-Smith esq JP [and] Thomas Jon. Ward. Churchwardens
The ERO record indicates that two more almshouses were originally intended. Two blocks of four almshouses. ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1060 and D/B 6 Pb3/1045, 1896, 2 plans, BUILDING PLAN of four new almshouses (times two), Eld Lane, Colchester, Parish of Holy Trinity/Holy Trinity Trustees (owner), C.E. Butcher (architect).
See image of c 1900 at http://www.whatwasthere.com/browse.aspx#!/ll/51.887968,0.89927499999998…
See image of c 1940 at http://www.whatwasthere.com/browse.aspx#!/ll/51.887968,0.89927499999998…
[JB] Parish Room by C.E. Butcher, 1903. Red brick. Gabled front with Gothic detailing.
Built as Sunday School and parish room for the church of St Giles; the builder was T.J. Ward of St John's Street, Colchester. Butcher was a prolific local architect. See The Builder, vol. 84 (21 March 1903), p. 315. [JB]
Residential conversion 2009-10.