Skip to main content

L J Watts

SEAX:
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/45, 1886, building plan of eight cottages, Maldon Road, COLCHESTER, for [L.J. WATTS (owner)], by L.J. WATTS (architect)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1334, 1899, building plan of alterations to house, Castle Road, COLCHESTER, for Round's Trust (owner), by L.J.WATTS (builder)

26-30 Creffield Road (south side)

Date
1886

Includes 21 Oxford Road (east side).
Large, very prominent corner building, on corner of Creffield Road and Oxford Road. Terrace of four houses. Uncoursed stone, clay tiles, ashlar dressings. Tower on corner - eccentric. Three gables to Creffield Road.
Built in 1886 by stonemason and architect L J Watts who must have bought material generated by the demolition of St Runwald's church, reworked what he could to make his cemetery memorials, and then disposed of the residue as building rubble in at least three different buildings which he designed: St Runwald's in Salisbury Avenue (1886), The Cloisters in Maldon Road (1886), and St Runwald's Terrace (1884).
Watts was an immensely successful Colchester businessman, a stonemason who pioneered mass production of tombstones and marble fireplaces from his works outside the Castle. The frequent Watts adverts in papers and magazines all over Metropolitan Essex, demonstrate the extent of this remarkable business (which still trades) by claiming 'over 9,000 cemetery monuments... in Essex.....London etc. in last 30 years'. Watts company still trading in the town.
Later St. Runwald's School. First head was possibly Mrs MacCauley.
ERO D/B 6 Pb2/381 1884 4 plans Building plan of houses, CREFFIELD ROAD, Colchester, for L.J. Watts (owner and architect) (not checked)

94 Maldon Road (south-east side) - The Cloisters

Date
1886

[JB] Large house, now flats, 1886. Stone rubble with brick dressings. Two storeys, with cross-wing at north end. Porch with Gothic archway.
The Cloisters and St Runwald's (opposite, in Salisbury Avenue; listed Grade II) were built from some of the materials of St Runwald's Church, High Street, demolished in 1878. Salisbury Avenue and Beaconsfield Road were laid out from 1879 by Henry Jones. Also in 1879 Jones (a solicitor, of Shrublands, Stanway; died 1889) presented to St Albright's Church, Stanway, stone arches and columns from St Runwald's Church that were used to build St Albright's new north aisle. It is therefore likely that The Cloisters and St Runwald's form part of Jones's original development. (VCH Essex, IX (1994), p. 201; The Ruri-Decanal Magazine (Nov 1889), p. 7.) [JB]

Built in 1886 by stonemason and architect L J Watts who must have bought material generated by the demolition of St Runwald's church, reworked what he could to make his cemetery memorials, and then disposed of the residue as building rubble in at least three different buildings which he designed: St Runwald's in Salisbury Avenue (1886), The Cloisters in Maldon Road (1886), and St Runwald's Terrace (1884).

Building plan of The Cloisters: ERO D/B 6 Pb3/79? (Plan missing.)

Subscribe to L J Watts