Skip to main content

16-28 Myrtle Grove (west side)

Date
1892

Terrace of 7 cottages in Myrtle Grove. Date 1892, ERO D/B 6 Pb3/574, building plan of eight cottages, for Mr. Flory (owner), by G.H. Page (architect).

Few surviving doors or windows. Cast iron name plate. [jA]
Grey and red brick. A terrace; unusual in New Town. Myrtle Grove is a close.

82 Butt Road, The Dragoon public house

Date
C17 or earlier in origin

Peg-tile roof and probable timber-framed building. Thus likely to be C17 or earier in origin. Needs investigation. Present fenestration and front may date to 1898. (?ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1199 for the Colchester Brewing Co. Ltd. (owner) designed by G.H. Page (architect). Needs to be checked.)

Nos 72-76 and no 82 form a group.

[The Dragoon public house dates from 1863?. On Butt Road, one of the main roads from the Garrison into the town centre.
In the 1871 Census, the Dragoon was occupied by Thomas Gibson, publican, and his wife Jane Gibson, their children Caroline Crayton, Tailoress and Alice Holland, Barmaid, grandson Charles Butcher, and one lodger John Hardy, pensioner.
In the 1881 Census, the Dragoon was occupied by Thomas Griffiths, Publican, and his wife Jane Griffiths, their nephew Charles Butcher, Bootmaker (aged 15), and Mary A. Ede, General Servant (aged 15).
In the 1901 Census, the Dragoon was occupied by Samuel Fuller, Licensed Victualler, and his wife Ellen Fuller, and their children William Fuller, Carman, Violet Fuller and Claude Fuller.]
[In 1895, no 82 - the Dragoon public house - was the premises of Edward McHugh, publican and furniture dealer.]

Old postcard, c 1926, by kind permission of Mr Ian Cook, and also thanks to J Jephcott for his help with the image.
Mr Cook says (pers comm): '... That photo. shows the landlord, my great-grandfather Thomas Wharton, at the door... My great-grandfather was the licenced victualler [of the original Mermaid Inn at no 27 Mersea Road] in the 1920s and my great-aunt was married from there in 1925 ...'

SEAX - [Building plan of alterations to DRAGOON Inn, Butt Road, COLCHESTER]
COLCHESTER Brewing Co. Ltd. (owner)G.H. Page (architect
1898

The Artillery Man public house, 56 Artillery Street (east side)

Date
c 1860

Purpose-built corner public house, one of the group of public houses in Colchester with military names. Gault brick. Well preserved. Date 1861-2??
Nos 50-52 and the Artillery Man form a group.
Beer house 1862-1894?? Public house since 1894??

[In 1867, the publican was John Fincham. In 1894-1912, the publican was James Martin. In 1914-1925, the publican was Mrs Eliza Martin. The pub. was also known as 'the Artillery House'. In the 1901 Census, the pub. was listed at nos 25 & 26 Artillery Street.]

* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/278, 1889, building plan of addition to ARTILLERYMAN public house, ARTILLERY STREET, COLCHESTER, by G.H. Page (architect)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5398, 1929, building plan of [alterations and additions], 'The ARTILLERYMAN' public house, ARTILLERY STREET, COLCHESTER, for Greene King and Sons Ltd. (owner), by F. Wayman (architect) and Appleton and Son [builders]
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2492, 1907, building plan of kitchen, ARTILLERY Inn Cottage, ARTILLERY STREET, COLCHESTER, for Messrs. Greene King and Co. (owner), by J. Snowdon (architect and builder)

List of publicans:
1862/John Fincham/Beer Retailer

Note: Premises not named in 1862

1867/John Fincham
1870/William Brooker
1871/William Brooker
1874/William Brooker/Beer Retailer

Note: Premises not named in 1874

1878/William Brooker
1881 Census (William Brooker, Innkeeper, lived there with his wife Susannah Brooker)

Note: Premises not named in 1881

1882/William Brooker
1886/William Brooker
1894/James Martin
1895/James Martin
1898/James Martin
1899/James Martin
1901 Census (James Martin, Licensed Victualler & Engine Master Fitter, lived there with his wife Eliza Martin, and their son Ernest Martin, Carman, and granddaughter Maude Martin)
1902/James Martin
1908/James Martin
1912/James Martin
1914/Mrs. Eliza Ann Martin
1917/Mrs. Eliza Ann Martin
1925/Mrs. Eliza Ann Martin
1933/Albert Whiting
1937/Albert Whiting

47-50 Maidenburgh Street (west side)

Date
1898

(Jaggers' list)
Block of eight apartments ('Rectory Buildings': six flats in the central three-storey block, with two-storey houses on each side) built in 1898 for the Revd. H.E. Legh. Plaque on the apex of the building: AD 1898 Rectory Buildings
Cement rendered three-storey brick building. No original windows surviving.
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1231. 1898. 1 plan. Building plan of eight dwellings. Revd. H.E. Legh (owner). G.H. Page (architect).

[JB] Legh was rector of St Nicholas w. St Runwald, 1895-1902. [JB]

Nos 41-50 form a group.

Berryfield Cottages, East Bay (south side)

Date
1895-6

[JB] Almshouses, 1895-6, by G.H. Page; refurbished and extended by Duncan Clark & Beckett, 2002-4.  Terrace of twelve single-storey red brick cottages, 'erected for the benefit of the aged poor and in loving memory of three sisters, Elizabeth Cooper, Margaret Round, and Charlotte Borthwick, daughters of General William Borthwick, Royal Artillery'.  Prominent gables linked by recesssed porches with fretted canopies.  An interesting scheme by a Colchester architect.  Plans in Essex Record Office (D/B Pb3/858).  See VCH Essex, IX (1994), p. 368. [JB]

126[127] HIGH STREET (north side) - (the Bay and Say Public House)

Grade II. 1904. By G H Page (for the Colchester Brewing Company.) Ashlar facade in the Baroque style with some Art-Nouveau detailing in the door and windows. 3 storeys, 3 bays, with full height pilasters and crowning pediment. The ground floor is grooved, there is a cornice at each level, and the pediment has modillions all round. The pediment is broken over the centre bay by a semi-circular feature with a Gibbs surround, there are small pediments over the outside bays. The ground floor has 2 3 light bar windows and a central arched doorway with a carved head keystone and iron grille. The 1st floor has 3 oriel windows, The upper floor has sash windows with pilaster surrounds. Roof not visible. interior has been modernized. Adjacent to Grade II listed no 131 High Street.

[Formerly the Lamb alehouse: 1779-1905 (previous building on the site); 1905-1971 (current building) - ?1750-1778 known as the Shoulder of Mutton (previous building).]

[Early 20th-century postcard, looking west along the High Street.]

[Old postcard reproduced with kind permission of J Jephcott; see Camulos web-site.]

Ref. in 'Essex', Pevsner/Bettley 2007, p 284.

Subscribe to G H Page