Skip to main content

149 High Street (north)

Date
1929

DEMOLISHED: ONLY FRONT AND SIDE EXTERNAL WALLS SURVIVE

(Jaggers' list)

Built as showrooms with offices over in 1929 for Harold J Willett Ltd, ironmongers, following a major fire in 1927 which destroyed the many of the buildings at the west end of the High Street, north side.

Group value: makes a pair with its near contemporary no 147 High Street.

Designed by D.J. McPherson-Burton (architect) of Duncan, Clarke, & Beckett?? and built by Appleton & Son. See ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5387, 1929, building plan of showrooms and offices, High Street, Colchester.

See also ERO D/B 6 Pb3/4506, 1925, building plan of garage, High Street, Colchester,for Messrs. Harold J. WILLETT Ltd. (owner), by R.K. Derham (architect and builder)

[Old postcard by kind permission of J Jephcott.]

McPherson-Burton notes:
ERO D/DU 1407/1, 1871-1945, 'Letters, newscuttings and mementos of Doris Mary McPherson Burton (nee Preyman White), a teacher at St. Mary's School, Lexden c. 1920-45, chiefly concerning life during wartime
Inc. testimonial given by Irene M. Marsh, Principal, Physical Training College, Liverpool, for Doris White, 7 May 1913; letter of Pte Cecil D.M. White [?brother] from France 26 July 1916, with newspaper report of his death 27 July 1916; public notice of Mayor of Colchester regarding The Summer Time (Daylight Saving Act) 1916, to be enforced 2 am 21 May - 18 May 1916; cartoon Christmas card of 6th Tank Battalion, sent by Ptd. Dudley McPherson Burton (husb.), [?] 1918; copy of Duty Order of Doris Burton 22 October 1917, letter of James McPherson Burton (father-in-law) written Arminstice Day and describing celebrations in London 11 Nov.1918; 2 airline tickets for a tour of Britain with Sir Alan Cobham (Alan Cobham Aviation Ltd.) c. 1930; Government instruction leaflet `If the Invader Comes - what to do and how to do it' June 1940; public notices concerning `Temporary Transfer of Population' signed by Will Speir, Regional Commissioner [Colchester] ...'
ERO D/UCt Pb1/6733, 1935, building plan: conservatory 19 Vicarage Gardens Clacton, for J. McPherson Burton (owner), by Baker & Burton (builder, architect) (Exempted Building
ERO D/RH Pb1/179, 1929, building plan of bungalow, Braintree Road, Gosfield, for Mrs. Cunnington (owner), by D. J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/RT Pb1/2415, 1930, building plan of bungalow, Ardleigh Road, Bromley, for C.E. Studd (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and A.E. Flory [builder]
ERO D/RT Pb1/2054, 1928, building plan of house, Great Bentley, for H.J. Girling (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/RT Pb1/2294, 1929, building plan of converted railway carriage and shed, Wivenhoe, for Mr W.H. James (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/RT Pb1/2165, 1928, building plan of two lock-up garages, High Street, Thorpe-le-Soken, for W.C. Brown (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/RT Pb1/1976, 1927, building plan of pair of cottages, 60th Mile Stone, Weeley, for Clacton Garage Co. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/RT Pb1/1975, 1927, building plan of garage and flat, 60th Mile Stone, Weeley, for Clacton Garage Co. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5348, 1929, building plan of alterations and additions to schoolroom, Headgate Church, Chapel Street, Colchester, for Sunday School Building Committee (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and E.A. Cook and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5561, 1930, building plan of addition to Drawing Office, Culver Street, Colchester, for Messrs. Mumford Ltd. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Flory and Co. [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5356, 1929, building plan of garage, store and covered way, North Station Road, Colchester, for Messrs. The Priory Ltd. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and H. Everett and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5593, 1930, building plan of addition to stores, Culver Street, Colchester, for Messrs. A.G. Mumford Ltd. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Flory and Co. [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5534, 1930, building plan of house, Abbots Road, Colchester, for
Parochial Church Council of St. Giles with St. Barnabas (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and A.E. Sparrow [builder]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5490, 1930, building plan of additions and alterations to 123 High Street, Colchester, for Messrs. Mann Brothers (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Appleton and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5338, 1929, building plan of alterations and additions to 115 North Station Road, Colchester, for The Priory Ltd. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Hutton and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5542, 1930, building plan of houses, Audley Road, Colchester, for
W.H.S. Smith (owner) and [builder], by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5430, 1929, building plan of pair of houses, Audley Road, Colchester, W.H.S. Smith (owner) and [builder], by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5462, 1930, building plan of houses, Audley Road, Colchester, for
W.H.S. Smith (owner) and [builder], by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5564, 1930, building plan of house, Beech Hill, Lexden, Colchester, for H.M Shrubsole (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and
W. Chambers and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5518, 1930, building plan of house, South Street, Colchester, for
Mr J. Cooper (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and C. Fisher [builder]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5358, 1929, building plan of shop fronts, 9-10 St. John's Street, Colchester, for R. Prestney (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and H. Everett and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5533, 1930, building plan of four houses, Manor Road, Colchester,
for J.R.S. Wickham (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Appleton and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5157, 1928, building plan of house, Manor Road, Colchester, for A.R.P. Sherry (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Moss and Sons [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5535, 1930, building plan of additions to the Health Office, Trinity Street, Colchester, for Borough of Colchester Health Committee (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Flory and Co. [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5412, 1929, building plan of extensions to 115 North Station Road, Colchester, for Messrs. The Priory Ltd. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and W.H.S. Smith [builder]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5357, 1929, building plan of shop fronts, 15 St. John's Street, Colchester, for R. Prestney (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and
H. Everett and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5056, 1928, building plan of oil store, St. John's Street, Colchester, for Messrs. Beard and Son (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Flory and Co. [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5286, 1929, building plan of shop front and alterations, [St. John's Street], Colchester], for Messrs. Beard and Son Ltd. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON [architect] and Hutton and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5151, 1928, building plan of workshops and stores, St. John's Avenue, Colchester],for Messrs. Eastern Automobiles Ltd. (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Flory and Co. [builder]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5183, 1928, building plan of workshops, West Stockwell Street, Colchester], for Mr S.E. Hunwick (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and [builder]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5036, 1927, building plan of store and workshop, rear of Chapel Street and St. John's Street, Colchester], for Messrs. Beard and Son (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect) and Flory and Co. [builder]
ERO D/RLw Pb1/1728, 1928, building plan of alterations and additions to Copford Brook Cottage, Copford], for L.D. Burchall (owner), by D.J. MCPHERSON-BURTON (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5337, building plan of [house, Victoria Road, Colchester], 1929,
for Mr R.C. Kidd [owner], by Mr J. McP. Burton (architect) and Flory and Co. [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/4958, 1927,building plan of houses, St. Clare Road, COLCHESTER],
for W. Chambers and Son (owners) and [builders], by D.J. Mc.P. BURTON (architect)
- and more plans by McPherson-Burton held by ERO

Notes for Baker and Burton:
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/6516, 1934, building plan of offices, show room, Bacon House, St. Peter Street, Colchester, for Messrs. BURTON, Son and Sanders Ltd. (owners), by
Baker and BURTON (architects) and W. Chambers and Sons [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/8195, 1939, building plan of alterations and additions to Maternity Home, Lexden Road, Colchester, for Borough of COLCHESTER (owner), by
Baker and BURTON (architects) and H. Everett and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/8360, 1940, building plan of alterations and additions to Canteen, Standard Works, Colchester, for Messrs. Davey, Paxman and Co. Ltd. (owners), by Baker and BURTON (architects) and W.A. Hills and Sons Ltd. [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/8194, 1939, building plan of alterations and amendments to Nurses' Home, Lexden Road, Colchester, for COLCHESTER Corporation [owner], by Baker and BURTON [architects] and H. Everett and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/8760, 1945, building plan of alterations to 10 Cambridge Road, COLCHESTER [missing]], for F.G. Roden [owner], by Baker and BURTON [architects]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7772A, 1937, building plan of development of land, new road, Layer Road, COLCHESTER, for Messrs. Nock Brothers (owners), by Baker and BURTON (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7940, 1938, building plan of pair of houses, Rainsborowe Road, COLCHESTER, for Messrs. Nock Brothers (owners) and [builders], by Baker and BURTON (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7856, 1938, building plan of house, Shrub End Road, COLCHESTER], for Messrs. Nock Brothers (owners) and [builders], by Baker and BURTON (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7709, 1937, building plan of offices, The Limes, Sir Isaac's Walk, COLCHESTER], for Messrs. Bland, Fielden and Co. (owners), by Baker and BURTON (architects) and H. Everett and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7611, 1937, building plan of five pairs of semi-detached houses, St. Andrew's Avenue, COLCHESTER], for A.E. Sparrow and Son (owners) and [builders], by Baker and BURTON (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7512, 1937, building plan of alterations to 153 High Street, COLCHESTER], for Messrs. T.D. Brook and Son (owners), by Baker and BURTON (architects) and Moss and Son [builders]
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/7122, 1935, building plan of house, Elianore Road, COLCHESTER], for S.G. Grant (owner), by Baker and BURTON (architects) and W.A. Hills and Son [builders]

- and more plans by Baker and Burton held by SEAX, and some missing plans by Baker and Burton catalogued by SEAX

*** biographical entry?? - and ref. '... Dudley James McPherson Burton (1890-1961), who succeeded to the practice [of Thomas Henry Baker]...' in 'Directory of British Architects 1834-1914', Brodie 2001
*** Thomas Henry Baker, architect - biographical entry in 'Directory of British Architects 1834-1914', Brodie 2001: 1852-1934, address Head Gate Court, Colchester; LRIBA (1910, proposed by W T Cressall), FRIBA; etc etc

Notes:
did Harold J Willett also own paint shop in Kendall Road?? [SEAX]

Nurses Home, Oxford Road (east side)

Date
1932

Gault brick. 1932 Nice Art Deco detailing internally. Crittall windows.
Grey brick. ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5697, 1931, 6 plans, 9 documents, nurses' home, OXFORD ROAD, Committee of Essex County Hospital [owner], Duncan Clark and Beckett (architect), F. Hutton and Son [builders]

Duncan Clark and Beckett was established in 1908 and is Colchester's longest established architectural practice. They are still in business (2011) and registered with the Royal Institute of British Architects, with offices in William's Walk. Projects in Colchester include refurbishments of and extensions to Winnocks and Kendalls Almshouses c 1990-2010.

The ERO holds dcuments:
* D/RLw Pb1/3155 Building plan of bungalow, London Road, Stanway, 1938, architects Duncan Clark and Beckett
* D/RLw Pb1/3260 Building plan of Rectory, Stanway, 1938, architects Duncan Clark and Beckett
* D/RLw Pb1/3426 Building plan of alterations and additions to 'Glengarry' London Road, Stanway, 1939, architects Duncan Clark and Beckett
* D/RLw Pb1/3501 Building plan of [alterations to house, Furze Hill, Stanway], 1940, architects Duncan Clark and Beckett
* D/B 6 Pb3/8818 Building plan of alterations and additions, 6A Maidenburgh Street, Colchester, 1946, architects Duncan Clark and Beckett (for Hollington Brothers Ltd)
* D/B 6 Pb3/8829 Building plan of bakehouse extension, 184 Magdalen Street, Colchester, 1946, architects Duncan Clark and Beckett
* D/B 6 Pb3/8870 Building plan of office extension, Arclight Works, Colchester, 1946, architects Duncan Clark and Beckett (for E.N. Mason and Sons Ltd)
* D/B 6 Pb3/8887 Building plan of alterations to staff lavatories, Stanwell Street, Colchester, 1946, architects Duncan Clark and Beckett (for Colchester Manufacturing Co. Ltd)
* D/B 6 Pb3/8943 Building plan of house, Park Road, Colchester, 1946, architects Duncan Clark and Beckett

etc

9 High Street (south side)

Date
1926

(Jaggers' list)
A handsome bank in a prominent position in the High Street. Built by Barclays Bank in 1926 by F. Hutton and Son and designed by important local firm of architects Duncan W. Clark and Beckett.
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/4766 (not checked).
Similar details to Town Hall.
Nos 9-18 form a group, of which nos 11 and 14 are listed buildings.

Subscribe to Duncan Clark and Beckett