Skip to main content

J W Start

...

J W Start - also see Start and Rowell.

SEAX:
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1585, 1901, building plan of six houses, Harsnett Road, Colchester, for E.A. Studd (owner), by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1579, 1901, building plan of stables, Inglis Road, Colchester, for A.L. George (owner), by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1456, 1900, building plan of alterations to Red Lion Hotel, High Street, Colchester, for Daniell and Sons Breweries Ltd (owner), by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1394, 1899, building plan of new front and extension to Little Crown Inn, Short Wyre Street, Colchester, for Daniell and Sons Breweries Ltd. (owner), by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1393, 1899, building plan of hotel, Military Road, Colchester, for Nicholl and Co (owner), by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1357, 1899, building plan of villa, Maldon Road, Colchester, for Mr. Massingham (owner), by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1330, 1899, building plan of St. Mary's Parish Room, Papillon Road/Rawstorn Road, Colchester, for [St.Mary's Trustees (owner)], by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1206, 1898, building plan of two villas, Maldon Road, Colchester, for Mr. Mead (owner), by [J.W. START (ARCHITECT)]
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1182, 1898, building plan of alterations and additions to East Hill Brewery, Colchester, for Nicholl and Co. (owner), by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/994, 1896, building plan of two houses, Mile End Road, Colchester, for W. Deaves (owner), by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/925, 1895, building plan of public house, Berechurch Road, Colchester, for Charrington, Nichols and Co. (owner), by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb 3/882, 1895, building plan of shop and house, 4 Long Wyre Street, Colchester, for [S. Balls (owner)], by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/740, 1894, building plan of five cottages, Crowhurst Road, Colchester, for W.A. Chambers (owner), by [J.W. START (ARCHITECT)]
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/593, 1893, building plan of house, Maidenburgh Street, Colchester, for D. Round (owner), by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/421, 1891, building plan of cottage, Canterbury Road, Colchester, for C.H. Halls (owner), by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/323, 1890, building plan of house, Lexden Road, Colchester, for C. Raymond (owner), by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/177, 1888, building plan of Granary, Hythe, Colchester, for J.L. Browne (owner), by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/22, 1885, building plan of cottages, Three Crowns Estate (off Bergholt Road), Colchester, for G. Joslyn (owner),by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb2/406, 1885, building plan of cottages, Rawstorn Road, Colchester, for Colchester Co-operative Society (owner), by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 6 Pb2/134, 1878, building plan of new front, Globe Inn, Military Road (now Oliver Twist), Colchester, for Nicholl and Co. (owners), by S. START (ARCHITECT)
* ERO D/B 4 Pb13/43, 1913, building plan of house, Fronks Road, Dovercourt, for Captain J. Chilver (owner), by J.W. START (ARCHITECT)
etc

The Britannia public house

Date
?1895

Red brick public house on a corner plot. Probably ERO D/B 6 Pb3/925 1895 but needs to be checked: 3 plans, public house on BERECHURCH ROAD for Charrington, Nichols and Co. (owner), designed by J.W. Start (architect).

[In the 1871 Census, the Britannia was occupied by Edward Rose, Innkeeper, and his wife Ann Rose, their baby daughter Kate Annie Rose, and Emily Garret, servant, with Ellen Hands, Soldiers Wife.]

Old postcard, c 1935, by kind permission of J Jephcott.

Recreation House, Wimpole Road (west side) - corner of Military Road

Date
1899

[1 photo. by jA] Former Recreation Hotel. Designed in 1899 by J W Start for Nicholl and Co (ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1393). A substantial hotel occupying a corner plot at the junction of Military and Wimpole Roads. A three-storey brick building with prominent neo-Tudor style gables and dormer windows. The ground floor is exclusively provided with round-headed windows. One side of the building has a large verandah overlooking the Recreation Ground which was originally the Army drill ground.

Now converted to private residential flats.

[Old postcard - c 1910 - reproduced with kind permission of J Jephcott; see Camulos web-site.]

List of publicans:
1901 Census (William Spencer, Barman, lived there with Lillie A Smith, Barmaid)
1907/T. Ivory
1908/Thomas Ivory
1912/George Shore
1914/Geo Clark
1917/John William Bosworth
1925/Frederick J. Wells
1933/Henry Malt

12 Short Wyre Street (north side) - Little Crown public house

Date
?mid C19 with front 1899

Two-storey public house. Slate roof. Painted. The present front is well preserved. It was added and the building extended for Daniell and Sons Breweries Ltd (owner). Designed in 1899 by J.W. Start (architect) (ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1394: not checked). Good fireplace inside. Needs investigation to determine the date of the original building; the slate roof suggests that it may not be before c 1825.
[1 photo. by jA]

[The Little Crown was a beer house from 1856 to 1951, when it became a public house.]

St Mary's Hall, Rawstorn Road (east side)

Date
1899

[JB] Church hall, now offices, by J.W. Start, 1899. Red brick with Bath stone dressings. Two tall windows rising through the eaves into dormers with half-hipped roofs.
Built as a hall for the parish of St Mary-at-the-Walls. Builder, F. Dupont (The Builder, vol 77 (1 July & 16 December 1899), pp. 20 & 566). Now offices of architects Purcell Miller Tritton. [JB]
Church hall for St Mary-at-the-Walls church; Canon Irving raised the money to build the hall.
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1330, 1899

Old postcard by kind permission of J Jephcott.

9 St Botolph's Street (west side)

Date
1882

Three-storey house with shop on ground floor with good survival externally on the first- and second-floor levels. Erected after a major fire in 1882 on the site of nos 4-9. Plan of the building: ERO D/B 6 Pb2/332. Designed by Start (architect) for F. Thurston (owner and boot and shoe maker) who traded in the shop. Nos 4-9 form a group. 1 photo. by jA [In 1909, no 9 was the premises of C Thurston, Boot & Shoe maker.]

[Old postcard reproduced with kind permission of J Jephcott; see Camulos web-site.]

See old postcard held by ERO: I/LS/COL/00014 (1890)

ERO holds: D/DJ 2/19/18 - 'Sale catalogue of 9 St. Botolph's Street, Gurdon Villa, 9 Priory Street, Felix House, 13 Priory Street, Albert Cottages, 18-21 Priory Street, Theobald's Row, 65-73 Magdalen Street, market garden and orchard in Old Heath Road, Colchester' (1920)

48-49 St Botolph's Street (east side)

Date
1897

Large three-storey building. Red brick with slate roof. Oriel at the centre of the first floor. Range of five sash windows on the second floor. Two triangular pediments at the top of the facade bearing the date 1897. An existing building much modified in 1897. Very fine and rare wooden two-storey shopfront on the right-hand side. Possibly original. If not, installed within a few years of the construction of the building. ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1069 (not checked), 1897, building plan of alterations to premises, St. Botolph's Street, Executors of late G. Mence Smith (owner), J.W. Start (architect). Busy and unbalanced facade because the design of the building (no 48-49) had to accommodate the needs of its neighbours on both sides. A door on the left-hand side led to the stairs to 'the gods' of the theatre which stood on the adjacent plot. The two-storey shopfront on the right is probably connected in some way with next door on the right (no 47) because this contained a shop run by colourman Mence Smith, and no 48-49 was bought out of his estate. In 1909, no 48 was a picture-framing depot. (Jaggers' list) Forms a group with nos 46 and 47. [1 photo. by jA]

[On the 1909 insurance map, nos 48 and 49 are labelled 'CHINA & H.W.' and 'STA.' respectively.] [In 1909, nos 47-48 were the premises of George Mence Smith, Oil and colour man, Brush warehouse, Glass. No 49 was the premises of W H Smith & Son, Picture-framing depot.]

[Old postcard reproduced with kind permission of J Jephcott; see Camulos web-site.]

See:
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/4701, 1926, building plan of alterations to 45A ST. BOTOLPH'S STreet, ColcheSTer, for Messrs. George Mence SMITH Ltd. (owner), by H. SMITH (architect) and W. Chambers and Son [builders] ??
* ERO D/B 6 Pb3/2603, 1908, building plan of alterations, ST. BOTOLPH'S STreet, ColcheSTer, for W.H. SMITH and Sons (owner), by Yapp and Co. (architects)

*** in Charles Debenham painting 'Figaro and the four painters, Colchester' (date??)

131[129] HIGH STREET (north side), former Hippodrome Theatre/Grand Theatre

Grade II. Theatre. 1905, by J W Start, architect, as the Grand Theatre, incorporating a recon- struction of an 1889 theatre by Frank Matcham. Red brick with stone and stucco dressings. Slated roofs. 3 storey with attic. Asymmetrical Edwardian Baroque facade. 4 equal width easterly bays, one double width west bay. Ground floor altered c 1960. First floor has one west bay window, 3 dentral pedimented windows, one east roundel. Second floor has one segmental headed west window, 3 central round arch headed windows, one east roundel. First floor brick pilaster divisions with stone rustication blocks, second floor paried stone pilasters, each with entablature broken forward. Central segmental pediment attic with 3 rounded openings and "Grand Theatre" lettering. Interior: Nec-Rococo style decoration in gilt and painted plaster. First and second floor galleries with bowed horse-shoe gallery front. First floor boxes on either side of proscenium with piers and ogee headed arches, second floor round headed arches. Flat proscenium and distinctive ceiling possibly by Hoffmann of Vienna has outer ribbed shell section, inner shell with cartouche coat of arms with 2 reclining muses. Included because of the importance of the surviving theatre auditorium and galleries.

Ref. in 'Essex' (Pevsner/Bettley 2007, 283).

 

 

[Early 20th-century postcard, looking west along the High Street.]

[Old postcard reproduced with kind permission of J Jephcott; see Camulos web-site.]

Subscribe to Start