(See also Goodey & Cressall.)
J F Goodey:
from 1878, the New Town development (Pevsner/Bettley 2007)
2 Winnock Road (New Town House)
99 Winnock Road (New Town Lodge) - also see ERO D/B 6 Pb3/101, building plan of alterations to New Town Lodge, Colchester, 1886
the Rose factory in Kendall Road
Gladstone Lodge (c 1880)
Goodey Close, off Winnock Road
4 St Botolph's Street (1882)
Marine Hotel, Clacton (1884) - builders Everett & Son of Colchester; drawings held by ERO, no C249
5, 7, 9 Oxford Road (1888; Pevsner/Bettley 2007) [Goodey or Goodey & Cressall??]
the auction rooms at 12 Headgate (1891; ERO D/B 6 Pb3/439, building plan of new auction rooms, Butt Road, Colchester, for Mr Fuller)
60 High Street
East Mills (1885-1895) - see plan for chimney of 1886 (ERO D/B 6 Pb3/90); see
building plan of coach house and stores, 1888 (ERO D/B 6 Pb3/195) for E. Marriage and Son (owner); see building plan of new grain store, 1888 (ERO D/B 6 Pb3/236); see building plan of additions, 1889 (D/B 6 Pb3/285)
1 St Runwald's Street (1883) - premises of Goodey & Cressall (Pevsner/Bettley 2007)
rear vestries, etc at Eld Lane Baptist Church (1889; Pevsner/Bettley 2007)
51 West Stockwell Street re-design (c 1891)
156 Maldon Road - for Alderman Blaxill (c 1901; building plans ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1639)
[outside Colchester, Goodey designed the Co-operative Wholesale Society HQ?? in Leman Street, Poplar, 1885-7, which is listed]
End of terrace. Plaque on wall reads: William's Place 1881. Red brick with slate roof. Painted stuccco window lintels and cills. Replacement windows. Stucco over brick vestigal doorcase and canopy. Designed by J F Goody for W. Warren (owner). ERO W D/B 6 Pb2/249 (not checked). Built as a house on South Street. However the entrance was on the side of the house - hence it became part of Walsingham Street when this was built later. Similar to buildings in New Town which have their entrances at their sides with 'vestigal' doorcases and canopies (also designed by Goody?). Plaque on wall suggests that the owner, W Warren, was called William.
Prominent corner building on Charles Street and Kendall Road. Red brick. Two storeys plus basement.
Designed by J F Goodey and built for Mr A C George as a boot and shoe factory in 1881. The business was moved in 1910 to Northampton following poor trading conditions and the building taken over by calendar-manufacturer George Rose. George Rose had started his business when he and his wife were running the Peverill Hotel on North Hill in Colchester and had his calenders printed at Cullingford's on the High Street. With the move into his new premises, the calanders were printed inhouse. The building was operated on three levels: printing in the basement, composing and collating on the ground floor, bindery and despatch on the first floor. It was home to the company until 1987. The building was given over to flats.
George Rose endowed a ward at the Essex County Hospital in Colchester, known as the George Rose Ward, and was the main benefactor for the construction of 21 individual bungalows for the almshouse charities, Winnocks and Kendalls, all built close to the factory site.
ERO D/B 6 PB2/282, 1881, Building plan of shoe factory, New Town Estate for Mr. George (owner) designed by J.F. Goodey (architect)
[This building was the premises of A C George, Boot and Shoe Manufacturer, in 1888-1890: 'A very handsome factory of red brick was erected in the year 1881 at the corner of Kendal Road and Charles Street, Colchester, having a frontage of some forty feet to each ... The area of the basement is considerable, and here is situated the motive power for all the machinery in the shape of a Crossley Bros. Otto Gas Engine. Seven powerful presses are at work, and there is also a powerful rolling machine. On the second floor is the lasting department ... On the upper floor is the finishing department, the store rooms - heavily stocked - and the packing department. These works, we are told, give employment to upwards of one hundred and twenty hands ...' (IotECBR)]
[JB] New Town House, 1882. Stock brick with painted stucco decoration. L-plan, with entrance porch place across the angle. Two single-storey bay windows, one canted and one square.
New Town House occupies an important position, marking the entrance to New Town, developed by J.F. Goodey from 1878. [JB]
Set on a triangular plot and with a peninsular position.
F H Goodey's earlier home before moving to New Town Lodge in Winnock Road.
[ERO D/B 6 Pb2/317, 1882, building plan of villa, J.F. Goodey (owner and architect)- Not checked.]
See other buildings designed by major Colchester architect J F Goodey in the 'Architects' section.
[JB] Large detached house, c. 1901. By J.F. Goodey for E.A. Blaxill. Three storeys. Red brick. Broad gable to left with single-storey canted bay with crenellated parapet, and narrower gable to right with two-storey square bay and pierced parapet. The gables have tile-hanging and false half-timbering. Chimney breast on left return wall with shaped gable.
Externally unaltered, by a prominent local architect for a leading local citizen: Blaxill was mayor of Colchester in 1909 and 1937. Plans in Essex Record Office (D/B 6 Pb3/1639). [JB]
Edwin Alec Blaxill (Alec) was an alderman of Colchester (Liberal and later Conservative), and mayor of Colchester 1909/10 and 1937/8. Alderman Blaxill School in Paxman Avenue was named afer him. He published a booklet on Colchester street names (1936) and a history of Lion Walk Congregational Church (1938). Kent Blaxill & Co Ltd is a Colchester company established in 1838. [jA]
1 photo. by jA September 2009
[JB] Former public house, now private housing. Rebuilt by J.F. Goodey, c. 1891, for the Colchester Brewing Co. Ground floor rendered. First floor red brick with oriel windows and gables with false half-timbering.
Closed as a pub in 1959. Occupies a prominent position in the street, its character nicely echoing the genuine timber-framed Stockwell Arms pub on the opposite corner. [JB] Significant contribution to the character of the so-called 'Dutch Quarter' in terms of its historic development. Prominent corner building. Plans in Essex Record Office (D/B 6 Pb3/433, 466).
[JB & DS] House, c. 1888, by major Colchester architect J.F. Goodey for G. Palmer. Red brick with painted stucco dressings. Two storeys. Large shaped gable to the left with smaller gable over central porch. Canted bay window with scroll top to the left, rectangular bay window with moulded mullionto the right. Flemish gabled, two-storey porch projection, stucco dressings. Arts and Crafts. Former Oxford House School building.
An interesting variation on the villa theme, by a prominent local architect. Plans, approved 1888, in Essex Record Office (D/B 6/Pb/180).
[See list of buildings in Colchester/building plans designed by J F Goodey under 147-149 High Street.]
[JB] House by J.F. Goodey, 1883. Painted stucco, with precast concrete detailing. Irregular plan, with canted bay windows, straight gables, etc. ERO: D/86 Pb2 /369.
Important as a central building in New Town, on the corner of New Town Road. Goodey (1834-1910) developed New Town from 1878 and he built this house for himself to live in. Precast concrete detailing is something in which he specialised. [JB]
F Goodey was a Colchester architect and builder, and a member of the Co-operative movement. He was involved in the development of New Town and lived at New Town Lodge. He was a partner of Goodey & Cressall. J F Goodey and later Goodey & Cressall designed/built many buildings in Colchester. See http://www.british-history.ac.uk [jA]
1 St Runwald's Street (north side); corner of West Stockwell Street - part of Victoria Chambers; currently Pizza Express
[JB] Shops and offices, 1883, by J.F. Goodey for J. Chignell. Stock brick, with arched windows to the first floor and ground floor almost entirely glazed.
A good example of Victorian commercial architecture. Goodey & Cressall, well-known Colchester architects, had their offices here for many years. Plans in Essex Record Office (D/B 6 Pb2/351). [JB]
Corner building is original, unspoilt agricultural showroom; original glass.
[2 photo.s by jA]
Ref. in 'Essex', Pevsner/Bettley 2007, pp 286-7.
[JB] Auction rooms, now restaurant, by J.F. Goodey for Charles Fuller, 1891. Red brick with white-brick dressings. Two storeys. Seven arched openings on the ground floor: door to the left, five large windows, and wider carriage arch to the right.
An interesting survival of purpose-built auction rooms, designed by a prominent local architect. Plans in Essex Record Office (D/B 6/Pb3/439). [JB]
[RS] Formerly Reeman Dansie auction rooms. [RS]
[2 photo.s by jA 20.08.09]
J F Goodey was a major Colchester architect.