|All taxonomy terms||Title||All taxonomy terms|
|Everett, W.C.||14 Creffield Road (south side) - Thane Villa||
Plaque with date 1889. Large house in grey brick. Double bays rising the full height of the building. Imposing entrance with original door. Detailing along the eaves and above the windows and door. Slate, hipped roof. Similar to nos 16 and 18.
SEAX - Building plan of motor house, 14 Creffield Road, 1927, W.C. Everett (owner), [architect and builder], ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5007
|Creffield Road south|
|Everett, H & Son||6-8 St Botolph's Street||
[JB] Commercial premises, built between 1882 (following an extensive fire early that year) and c.1885. Three ground-floor shop units. Above the ground floor the building is faced in stone, with three full storeys above the middle shop and two storeys and attics above the outer shops. The centre is further emphasised by breaking forward slightly and having quoins. On the first floor of the centre a full-height tripartite window with pedimented centre. On the second and third floors two windows with segmental heads. Above the outer shops two full-height first-floor windows with cornices on consoles. On the second floor two straight-headed windows, and single gabled dormers above the parapet. Cast-iron balcony at first-floor level across the whole front. The upper floors originally housed a Church of England Soldiers' Institute, but this was short-lived and within about seven years became the headquarters of the Liberal Club, which also occupied one of the ground-floor shops. The construction of the ground floor incorporates simple arcading supported on cast-iron pillars, some of which are exposed or visible behind modern partitions. The interior of the building needs further investigation to establish how much survives of the original structure, particularly on the ground floor which could prove to be well preserved. The building is of significance because of its historical associations. The use of stone for the facade is unusual in the context of Colchester (otherwise mainly confined to the High Street) and indicates that the building was considered of particular importance at the time of its construction. Because of its materials, formal style, and height, the building makes a considerable impact on the street [JB] Nos 4-9 form a group. (Jaggers' list) 1 photo. by jA August 2009 [CAT Report 364: An archaeological evaluation at 8 St Botolph’s Street, Colchester, Essex: April 2006] [In 1909, no 6 was the premises of Fletcher Ltd, Meat stores. No 7 was the premises of the Liberal Club. No 8 was the premises of W Thursby, Florist & Fruiterer.]
[Old postcard reproduced with kind permission of J Jephcott; see Camulos web-site.]
See old postcard held by ERO: I/LS/COL/00014 (1890)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/459, 1891, building plan of alterations to St. Botolph's Street, COLCHESTER, for Church of England SOLDIERS INSTITUTE (owner), by Whitfield and Thomas (architects)
[ERO C249, 1893, C/E Soldiers Institute, working drawings of Henry Everett and Son, builders]??
ERO holds: D/B 6 Pb3/1197- 'Building plan of alterations to 7-8 St. Botolph's Street, Colchester' (1898) [architects Goodey & Cressall for the Liberal Club]
ERO holds: D/B 6 Pb3/2284 - 'Building plan of new W.C., Yard at Liberal Club, St. Botolph's Street, Colchester' (1906)
ERO holds: D/DJ 2/19/17 - 'Sale catalogue of three lock up shops, 6-8 St. Botolph's Street, Colchester' (1928)
|St Botolph's Street west|
|Everett, H & Son||1-2 High Street (south side)||
[JB] Three-storey commercial building by Percy J. Bartlett for Boots the Chemist, 1936, in 'free-Georgian' style. Ground floor almost entirely glazed, the upper two floors of red brick with stone dressings. Between the windows of the first and second floors are stone panels carved with images of chemists' jars etc, indicating the building's original purpose and very evocative of the period. A good building of its date occupying an important corner site. Bartlett was head of Boots Architects' Department, 1927-49, and designed most of the company's stores in a variety of styles appropriate to their locations (see Kathryn A. Morrison, English Shops and Shopping (English Heritage, 2003), pp 216-7, which mentions this building). [JB]
Built by Everetts of Colchester. Architects' drawings in Richard Shackle's collection.
Ref. in 'Essex' (Pevsner/Bettley 2007, 283).
Nos 1-4 form a group.
|High Street south|
|Everett, H & Son||16 Beverley Road (east side)||
[JB] Large house by George Gard Pye for Charles Davey, 1874-5. Italianate, after the manner of Sir Charles Barry. Three storeys, with a four-storey tower in the middle of the front elevation. Arched windows, and pedimented gable to right. Cast iron columns.
Davey, Paxman & Davey, Engineers was founded in 1865 by James Paxman, with capital provided by brothers Charles Davey and Henry Davey. The Davey brothers retired in 1877. See http://www.british-history.ac.uk and http://www.paxmanhistory.org.uk [jA]
|Beverley Road east|
|Everett, H & Son||18 Fitzwalter Road||
One storey plus attic. Plain tiles, render. Architect-designed? Semi-circular door, red-brick stack. Recessed porch. Tile hung dormers.
The map evidence suggests that the building was erected c 1938-9. The only plans for this on SEAX are in D/B 6 Pb3/7827, 1938, Lieutenant-Colonel J. Thorburn (owner), Tomkins, Homer and Ley (architects), H. Everett and Son (builders). Not checked. Tomkins, Homer and Ley are associated with modernist buildings in Frinton.
|Everett, H & Son||149 High Street (north)||
DEMOLISHED: ONLY FRONT AND SIDE EXTERNAL WALLS SURVIVE
Built as showrooms with offices over in 1929 for Harold J Willett Ltd, ironmongers, following a major fire in 1927 which destroyed the many of the buildings at the west end of the High Street, north side.
Group value: makes a pair with its near contemporary no 147 High Street.
Designed by D.J. McPherson-Burton (architect) of Duncan, Clarke, & Beckett?? and built by Appleton & Son. See ERO D/B 6 Pb3/5387, 1929, building plan of showrooms and offices, High Street, Colchester.
See also ERO D/B 6 Pb3/4506, 1925, building plan of garage, High Street, Colchester,for Messrs. Harold J. WILLETT Ltd. (owner), by R.K. Derham (architect and builder)
[Old postcard by kind permission of J Jephcott.]
Notes for Baker and Burton:
- and more plans by Baker and Burton held by SEAX, and some missing plans by Baker and Burton catalogued by SEAX
*** biographical entry?? - and ref. '... Dudley James McPherson Burton (1890-1961), who succeeded to the practice [of Thomas Henry Baker]...' in 'Directory of British Architects 1834-1914', Brodie 2001
|High Street north|
|R Beaumont||1-4 Balkerne Passage||
|R Beaumont||171 Lexden Road Colchester CO3 3TE||
Large detached red-brick house called Deoban. Built in 1905 for Mr E McArthur Moir who had worked in the Indian Forest Service and named it after a town in Haryana state. Designed by Baker & May and built by R Beaumont. Two storeys plus attics lit by dormers. First-floor windows multi-pane upper sashes with lower single-pane ones. Central Venetian window. Large central doorway with semi-circular fanlight. Dentilled eaves, Porch with modern extension to the left. Once the home of Edward Paxman. Plan in ERO - D/B 6 Pb3/2159; designed by
|Lexden Road north|
|T J Ward||Parish Room, St John's Green (west side)||
[JB] Parish Room by C.E. Butcher, 1903. Red brick. Gabled front with Gothic detailing.
|St John's Green|
|A Diss||1 West Stockwell Street||
Built just after 1901 as an extension and partial rebuilding of the Angel Hotel (Angel Inn). ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1618 (not checked), Nicholl and Co. (owner), C.E. Butcher (architect), A. Diss (builder)
|West Stockwell Street east|