Henry Munro Cautley
biographical note at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=173-ji5&cid=0#0 -
'... Henry Munro Cautley (1876-1959) served as Diocesan Surveyor for St Edmundsbury and Ipswich between 1914-1947. A trained architect, he practiced in Ipswich between 1901-1957. Cautley was seen as a leading authority on Suffolk churches, and published 'Suffolk Churches and Their Treasures' in 1937. During the course of this work and throughout his time in Suffolk he photographed many of the features found within the county's churches. Cautley also ventured further a field, producing 'Royal Arms and Commandments in our Churches' (published in 1934), which had a national scope, and he also photographed images of churches around the country. The archive consists of glass plate negatives of church architecture and fittings. Many of the images were used to illustrate his books, while others cover non-Suffolk locations. The collection is split into five sections, covering the Suffolk church fittings, churches across England, the royal arms and tables of commandments, a section on Scotland covering Cautleys visits there in the early 1930s (particularly the highland area around Applecross on the west coast), and a miscellaneous section which includes images of the excavations at Grimes Graves in Norfolk Neolithic flint mines and secular buildings across Suffolk ...'
He designed a church in Ipswich, stations for the Ipswich underground, a bank in Norwich, etc.