Skip to main content
Click the name of the architect to be taken to a list of their buildings in Colchester.
Title All taxonomy terms
Goodey and Cressall

Goodey & Cressall was a major (and prolific) architectural practice in the town and many buildings of value in Colchester - including some important buildings in the town (some of which are listed) - were designed over several decades (19th and 20th centuries) by J F Goodey and, later, by Goodey & Cressall: see list below. The buildings include a wide range of functions and styles.

J F Goodey is a significant figure in the history and fabric of Colchester, as an architect, builder and developer. From 1878 he developed New Town, also building two houses for himself in that development (2 Winnock Road [New Town House] and, later, New Town Lodge). He was a Liberal, Nonconformist and member of the Co-operative Society (listed as 'Mr. J. F. GOODEY New Town Lodge, Colchester' for the London Branch Committee of the Co-operative Wholesale Society at www.archive.org). He worked with local builders and his clients were mostly Colchester residents, tradesmen and businessmen, including some of the most notable in the town, ie Joslin, Lucking, Paxman, Marriage, Kavanagh. Some of his clients commissioned him repeatedly, eg Paxman and Marriage.

'... Most growth, however, was at New Town, developed from 1878 south of the road to the Hythe, a large compact area between army land on the west and Paxman's engineering factory at the Hythe on the east: 293 houses were built there by 1885. (fn. 85) Morant, Harsnett, and King Stephen Roads were built there on the Wimpole estate between Wimpole Road and Park Lane from 1899, and Claudius, Campion, Lisle, Barrington, and part of Canterbury Roads on the Goldwell's estate (previously occupied by Bunting's nursery) on the south side of the barracks from 1901. (fn. 86) J. F. Goodey, a local builder, other members of the Co-operative movement, and local Liberals were influential in the development of New Town, hence the name Gladstone Road. The intention was to create a social mix through the provision of varied housing. Goodey himself, who specialized in precast concrete architectural detail, lived in a detached house, New Town Lodge, in New Town Road. (fn. 87) Terraced houses, with some better ones for foremen, were laid out on a gridiron road pattern and higher quality houses were built on the southern periphery in Granville and Gladstone Roads or in terraces overlooking the recreation ground.

Building societies played an important role in the expansion of the housing market. The Colchester Permanent Benefit building society, founded in 1856, and the Colchester Co-operative Mutual Permanent Benefit building society, founded in 1869, later the Colchester Equitable building society, advanced money to members to buy houses either to live in themselves or as an investment. Money was lent to women on the same terms as men, and by 1878 the number of working-class borrowers was increasing. By 1894 the Colchester Equitable had advanced £115,000 on 630 cottages, 28 businesses, 7 large houses, and 1 chapel, mostly in the town or the immediately surrounding area. (fn. 88) Colchester Co-operative Society also enabled some of its members to become owner-occupiers. In 1879, with surplus capital, it bought some plots on the New Town estate, built four cottages on them, and allotted them to members who paid for them by easy instalments; four more cottages were provided soon afterwards, and likewise four in 1884 in Rawstorn Road and four in 1886 in Pelham Road. (fn. 89) ...' - from VCH 9, published online at www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=21988

There are very few Art Deco buildings in Colchester town centre, so 147-149 High Street are important as well as interesting buildings. Other buildings built in Colchester in the 1920s and designed by Goodey & Cressall are not in the High Street.

Goodey & Cressall:
Heath House, Heath Road (south side), additions of 1908
2-4 Headgate (Headgate Buildings)
21 Cambridge Road
52-54 Creffield Road (1891)
7-9 Oxford Road (1893; Pevsner/Bettley 2007)
former Wilson Marrriage school - listed (1896)
S-W wing of Essex County Hospital (1897-8)
6-8 St Botolph's Street - for the Liberal Club (1898)
St John's Green Primary School - listed (1898)
North Primary School - listed (c 1900)
additions to Bakery, Kendall Road, Colchester (1902; ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1761, for Colchester Co-operative Society (owner)) [surviving??]
New Town junior school (1903)
Methodist Church, Wimpole Road (1903-4; ERO D/B 6 Pb3/1898)
25-31 Long Wyre Street - for the Co-operative Society (c 1914; Pevsner/Bettley 2007)
former St Helen's Lane school (1904) - the ERO holds D/B 6 Pb3/2064, building plan of additions, St. Helen's Lane, Colchester Building plan of additions, St. Helen's Lane, Colchester, 1904, for Central National Schools (owner)
Oddfellows' Hall, George Street (1909)
20 St Clare Road (c 1912)
75 Culver Street - for the Co-operative Society (c 1914)
61-65 North Station Road (east side) - for Co-operative Society, c 1924
1 Long Wyre Street - Co-Operative department store, 1925-6
23 Drury Road - for the Co-operative Society (c 1926)
39 Claudius Road - for the Co-operative Society (c 1926)
147-149 High Street (1927)
former school in Greenstead Road??

Pevsner/Bettley 2007: '... A particularly distinctive group [of schools] is to be found in Colchester by Goodey & Cressall, 1892-1903 ...'

[Outside Colchester, Goodey & Cressall designed the Richard de Clare Primary School in Halstead, 1909-10 (Pevsner/Bettley 2007). W T Cressall designed a hospital block for Halstead in 1920-1 (Pevsner/Bettley 2007). Also new residence in Holland Road, Clacton, 1934 (ERO D/UCt Pb1/5334). Also isolation hospital at Halstead (1895; plans ERO D/UH Pb1/3).]

W T Cressall & Duncan Clark:
outpatients' dept. at Essex County Hospital, 1924-6

W T Cressall:
building on left of Eld Lane Baptist Church (1923; Pevsner/Bettley 2007)

--------------

biographical:
James Frederick Goodey - born at Stoke in Suffolk in 1834; christened Halstead; son of James and Sarah Goody. His father was a wheelwright. J F Goodey married Emma Draper in 1853 and thier children were James, Edward, Harry, Emma and Fanny; he married Jane King in Colchester District in 1865, and their children were Arthur, Albert, Alice, Elizabeth and Florence. In 1861, J F G was living at 6 Mill Street in Colchester and he was foreman to a joiner. In 1881 he was living at 4 Portland Road, and he was an architect and surveyor employing 20 people. [Son H Goodey lived in Lexden, workshop in Kendall Road??] In 1901, J F G was living at 99 Winnock Road and he was an architect. He died in Croydon in 1910. [J F G owned Osmon Road??]

Walter Thomas Cressall - 1866-1925

James Edward Pluck - born 1870, worked for Goodey & Cressall from 1897; premises at St Peter's Chambers, High Street, Colchester in 1912 ('Directory of British architects 1834-1914').LRIBA 1912.

Plans by J F Goodey:
ERO D/B 6 Pb1/15 -
ERO D/B 6 Pb1/16 -
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/8, building plan of cottages, Lexden, Colchester, 1885, for R. Wilby (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/10 , building plan of cottages, Hythe Hill, Colchester, 1885, for T. Moy (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/13, building plan of cottages, Granville Road, New Town Estate, Colchester, 1885, by J. F. Goodey (owner and architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/14, building plan of cottages, Granville Road, New Town Estate, Colchester, 1885, by J. F. Goodey (owner and architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/15, building plan of villa, Wimpole Lane (Road), Colchester, 1885, for H. Goodey (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/29, building plan of cottages, Granville Road, Colchester, 1885, by J. F. Goodey (owner and architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/43, building plan of two cottages, Maldon Road, Colchester Building plan of two cottages, Maldon Road, Colchester, 1886, for T. Clarke (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/44, building plan of alterations and additions, High Street, Colchester, 1886, for [Mr. Francisco] (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/62 and D/B 6 Pb3/62A, building plans of villa, Creffield Estate (The Towers), Colchester, 1886, for W. Sparling (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/129, building plan of stables, Creffield Road, Colchester, 1887, for W. Sparling (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/63, building plan of stable and coach house, Victoria Road, Colchester, 1886, for A. Prior (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/64, building plan of shops, etc., St. Nicholas Street, Colchester, 1886, for Warmington and Co. (owners) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/93, building plan of new offices, Britannia Works, Colchester, 1886, for Britannia Co. (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/115, building plan of new Fitters' Shop and warehouse, Standard Iron Works, St. Leonard's Road, Colchester, 1887, for Davey Paxman and Co. (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/128, building plan of Foundry, The Hythe, Colchester, 1887, fr Davey Paxman and Co. (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/132, building plan of alterations and additions and two cottages, Military Road, Colchester, 1887, by J. F. Goodey (owner and architect)
ER D/B 6 Pb3/153, building plan of two cottages, Military Road, Colchester, 1887, by J. F. Goodey (owner and architect) ['Information for both entries on same plan']
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/133, building plan of alterations, High Street, Colchester, 1887, for J. Joslin (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/157, building plan of seven cottages, Gladstone Road, Colchester, 1887, by J. F. Goodey (owner and architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/161 Building plan of cart lodge and Granary, Hythe, Colchester, 1887, for T. Moy (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/180 Building plan of villa, Oxford Road, Colchester, 1888, for G. Palmer (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/200, building plan of house and shop, Butt Road, Colchester, 1888, for H. Jones (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/208 Building plan of cottage, Military Road, Colchester, 1888, for Mr. Young (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/237 Building plan of new Currying Warehouse, Factory Lane, Colchester, 1888, for F. Warmington and Co. (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/238, building plan of new wood/workshop, Standard Iron Works, Park Lane, Colchester, 1888, for Davey Paxman and Co. (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/252, building plan of two cottages, Cannon Street, Colchester, 1889, for Mr. Wade (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/261, building plan of new classrooms, etc., Baptist Chapel, [no owner or location recorded], Colchester, 1889, by J.F. Goddey[Goodey] (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/262 Building plan of five cottages, New Park Street, Colchester, 1889, for L. Daldry (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/267 Building plan of workshop, Kendall Road, Colchester, 1889, by J. F. Goodey (owner and architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/276 Building plan of new factory, Portland Road, Colchester, 1889, for Messrs. Knapp and Son (owners) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/280, building plan of stables, North Hill, Colchester, 1889, for Colchester Provident Asylum Society (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/284, building plan of Boot Factory, Stanwell Street, Colchester, 1889, for J. Kavanagh (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/311, building plan of eight cottages, Myrtle Grove, Colchester, 1889, by J. F. Goodey (owner and architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/317 Building plan of extension of foundry, Standard Iron Works, Colchester, 1890, for Davey Paxman and Co. (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/357, building plan of new shops, High Street and St. Nicholas Street, Colchester, 1890, for F.W. Warmington and Co. (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/368, building plan of five cottages, Butt Road, Colchester, 1890, for J. Clark (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/374, building plan of workshop, Standard Iron Works, Colchester, 1890, for J.N. Paxman (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/377, building plan of workshop, Britannia Works, Magdalen Street, Colchester, 1890, for Britannia Co. (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/390, building plan of pair of houses, Gladstone Road, Colchester, 1890, by J. F. Goodey (owner and architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/407, building plan of three houses, Creffield Road, Colchester, 1891, for W.A. Chambers (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/418, building plan of two houses, Winnock Road, Colchester, 1891 (no stamp), by J. F. Goodey (owner and architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/424, building plan of Lodge, Plum Hall, Mersea Road/Berechurch Road, Colchester, 1891, for H.W. Jones (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/447, building plan of conservatory, Plum Hall, Mersea Road, Colchester, 1891, for H.W. Jones (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/441, building plan of warehouse, Pelham's Lane, Colchester, 1891, for E.J. Sanders (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/425, building plan of additions to warehouse, Pelhams Lane, Colchester, 1891, for E.J. Sanders (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/433, building plan of rebuilding of Nelsons Head Public House, West Stockwell Street, Colchester, 1891, no plan??, for the Colchester Brewing Co. (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect) - see plan, ERO D/B 6 Pb3/466
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/436, building plan of clothing factory, Stanwell Street, Colchester, 1891, for Mr. Hammond (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/448, building plan of warehouse, Priory Street, Colchester, 1891, [Monkwell Street Warehouse Company, E.C. (owner)] by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/470, building plan of house, Gladstone Road, Colchester, 1891, by J. F. Goodey (owner and architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/482, building plan of stables and coach houses, Military Road, Colchester, 1892 (no stamp), by J. F. Goodey (owner and architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/502, building plan of factory, Magdalen Street, Colchester, 1892, for Hart and Levy (owners) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/531, building plan of six cottages, Priory Street, Colchester, 1892, for E.A. Studd (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/532, building plan of pair of houses, Inglis Road, Colchester, 1892 (no stamp), for Messrs. George and Johnson (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/535, building plan of workshop, Magdalen Street, Colchester, 1892, for Messrs. Pickess and Stanton (owners) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/561, building plan of workshop, Kendall Road, Colchester, 1892, for H. Goodey and Co. (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/565 Building plan of three cottages, Priory Street, Colchester, 1892, for Studd (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/582 Building plan of warehouse and stable, Foundry Yard, High Street, Colchester, 1893, for Stanford and Co. (owners) by J. F. Goodey (architect)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/583 Building plan of warehouse, Hythe Hill, Colchester, 1893, for T. Moy Ltd. (owner) by J. F. Goodey (architect)

Plans by Goodey & Cressall:
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/598, building plan of cottages, Priory Grove, Colchester, 1893, for E.A. Studd (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/599, building plan of two villas, Oxford Road, Colchester, 1893, for E. Beard (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/600, building plan of house, Priory Street, Colchester, 1893,
no plan??, for G. Wash (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/601, building plan of shed off Military Road, New Town, Colchester, 1893, for J.F. Goodey (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/618, building plan of house, Priory Street, Colchester, for G. Wash (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/628, building plan of villas, Military Road, Colchester, 1893, for J.F. Goodey (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/649, building plan of alterations, Crouch Street, Colchester, 1893, for Mr. Page (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/677, building plan of four pairs of cottages, Military Road, Colchester, 1893, for J.F. Goodey (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/735 and D/B 6 Pb3/747, building plan of cart shed, New Town Road, Colchester, 1894, for Colchester Co-operative Society (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/752 and D/B 6 Pb3/762, building plan of villa, Wimpole Lane and Gladstone Road, Colchester, 1894, for W.A. Chambers (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/768, building plan of four cottages, Pond Lane, Colchester, 1894, for J.F. Goodey (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/878 and D/B 6 Pb3/888, building plan of additions to factory, Portland Road, Colchester, 1895, for Knapp and Son (owners) by Goodey and Cressall (architects) - and see D/B 6 Pb3/908
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/895, building plan of pair of villas, New Town Road, Colchester, 1895, for J.F. Goodey (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)

Buildings designed by Goodey & Cressall but not surviving:
Wesleyan Methodist church in Culver Street, demolished for the new shopping precinct - '... In 1900 the church was remodelled to plans by W. Cressall and J. F. Goodey, providing a suite of rooms and a caretakers' house in place of the old cottages, and an imposing new facade with twin flanking towers. The interior was remodelled with a new choir gallery and rostrum. The church was gutted by fire in 1926, but was rebuilt on its former plan and reopened in 1928 ...' - www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22011
The ERO holds D/B 6 Pb3/2057, building plan of additions to Wesleyan Methodist Schools, Culver Street, Colchester, 1904, by Goodey & Cressall. Some stained glass from the Culver Street chapel of 1900 is preserved as an entrance screen at the Castle Methodist Chapel.
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/786 Building plan of two villas, New Town Road, Colchester, 1894, J.F. Goodey (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
ERO D/B 6 Pb3/872 Building plan of pair of cottages, Military Road, Colchester, 1895, for J.F. Goodey (owner) Goodey and Cressall (architect)

---------------

The ERO holds other documents:
* D/B 6 Pb3/1541, the building plan of six cottages, Morant Road, Colchester, 1901, for J. F. Goodey junior (owner and builder) by Goodey and Cressall (architects).
* D/B 6 Pb3/1557, the building plan of seven houses, King Stephen Road, Colchester, 1901, for J. F. Goodey junior (owner and builder) by Goodey and Cressall (architects).
* D/B 6 Pb3/1643, document relating to two houses, Morant Road, Colchester, 1901, for F. J. Goodey (owner and builder) by Goodey and Cressall (architects).
* D/B 6 Pb3/1665, building plan of cottages, Bourne Road, Colchester, 1902, for J. F. Goodey junior (owner and builder) by Goodey and Cressall (architects).
* D/B 6 Pb3/1811 , building plan of two pairs of cottages, King Stephen Road, Colchester, Colchester, 1903, for J. F. Goodey junior (owner and builder) by
Goodey and Cressall
* D/B 6 Pb3/1885, building plan of two cottages, Bourne Road, Colchester, 1903,for J. F. Goodey junior (owner) by [Goodey and Cressall (architects)]
* D/B 6 Pb3/1920, building plan of cottages, Lisle Road, Colchester, 1903, for J. F. Goodey junior (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects) - F. Goodey (builder)
* D/B 6 Pb3/2085, building plan of house, Winchester Road, Colchester, 1904, for J. F. Goodey junior (owner and (builder)) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
* D/B 6 Pb3/2112A, building plan of new road construction, from Cannon Street to King Stephen Road, Colchester, 1904, for J. F. Goodey junior (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
* D/B 6 Pb3/2122, building plan of thirty-nine houses, Cannon Street/King Stephen Road, Colchester, 1904, for J. F. Goodey junior (owner and builder) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
* D/B 6 Pb3/2140, building plan of house, New Town Road, Colchester, 1905, for H. Goodey (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects) [J.F. Goodey junior (builder)]

* D/B 6 Pb3/1796, building plan of butcher's shop, Long Wyre Street, Colchester, 1903, for Colchester Co-operative Society Ltd. (owner)
by Goodey and Cressall
* D/B 6 Pb3/1827, building plan of reinstatement, St Botolph's Street, Colchester, 1903, for Messrs. A.J. Lucking and Co. (owner) by Goodey and Cressall
* D/B 6 Pb3/1587, the building plan of house, Errington Road, Colchester, 1901, for R. Hazell (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects).
* D/B 6 Pb3/1633, the building plan of two cottages, Pownall Crescent, Colchester, 1901, for Mrs. E. Harding (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects).
* D/B 6 Pb3/1847, building plan of house and shop at corner of Errington and Wickham Roads, Colchester, 1903, for Mr. Page (owner) by Goodey and Cressall
* D/B 6 Pb3/1861, building plan of new basement, St Botolph's Street, Colchester, 1903, for A. J. Lucking and Co. (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
* D/B 6 Pb3/1886, building plan of additions to premises, St. Botolph's Street, Colchester, 1903, for A. J. Lucking and Co. (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architect)
* D/B 6 Pb3/1902, building plan of shop front, 30 High Street, Colchester, 1903, for A. G. Graves (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
* D/B 6 Pb3/1984, building plan of shop, Long Wyre Street, Colchester, 1904, for Colchester Co-operative Society (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
* D/B 6 Pb3/2012, building plan of tool shed, Rectory Lodge, Myland Road, Colchester, 1904, for G. Warner (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)
* D/B 6 Pb3/2017, building plan of five cottages, Campion Road, Colchester, 1904, for J. F. Goodey junior (owner) by Goodey and Cressall (architects)