51° 53' 18.9132" N, 0° 53' 55.6116" E
See map: Google Maps
Grade II*. Originally a C15-C16 building, standing in its garden back from the road and facing south reached through the archway in No 7. Much restored. 2 storeys and attics, timber-framed and plastered, the timbering exposed on the front, the roofs tiled, 3 gabled dormers, the upper storey projects on the south front. Original doorway west end in the first floor with 4 centred head, now blocked, probably once led to an external stairway. Mostly modern period fenestration. Interior has original moulded ceiling beams and C17 staircase. Plaque over gateway records this as the house of William Gilberd, MA 1544-1603 - the Father of Electrical Science.
Ref. in 'Essex' (Pevsner/Bettley 2007, 291).
Nos 2 to 14 (consec) form a group.
[Portrait of Sir William Gilberd.]
[Old postcard with kind permission of J Jephcott; the house is labelled 'The Tymperleys'.]
'The family and Arms of Gilbert of Colchester', by S P Thompson, in TEAS, 9, part 3, new series, pp 197-211 (1904)
'Dr Gilberd's birthplace', by J H Round, in TEAS, 10, part 4, new series, pp 307-311 (1908)
'Colchester's new clock museum', pp 12-14, in 'The Colchester archaeologist magazine', no 1, published online at http://cat.essex.ac.uk/reports/MAG-report-0001.pdf
[Photo.s of Tymperleys in November 2011.]
letter about Tymperleys by D Stenning published in 'Essex County Standard'in 2010
Gilberd was born to a Colchester family and probably lived at Tymperleys. He was educated at St John's College, Cambridge, where he was awarded the degrees of BA, MA and MD. He worked as a physician in London. He became president of the [Royal] College of Physicians and was appointed personal physician to Queen Elizabeth I. The sessions during which he conducted experiments in front of friends are regarded as being the beginnings of the Royal Society. He published 'De Magnete' in 1600. Gilberd is considered to be the father of electrical engineering or electricity and magnetism, and geomagnetism, and a pioneer of the scientific method. He is one of the great scientists in the history of science, and his work influenced Galileo. He died in 1603 and was buried in the chancel of Holy Trinity church (now used as a cafe), opposite Tymperleys. A memorial plaque to Gilberd can be seen on the north wall inside the church.
Drawing by historic buildings expert Richard Shackle.