74 HIGH STREET (south side) - (The Minories)

Posted by admin

Grade II*.
Early C16 timber-framed building remodelled in the later C18 for Thomas Boggis, baymaker. There are modern extensions at the rear. The main block has a red brick front with coping, 2 hipped gables behind the coping the roofs tiled, 3 storeys, 5-window range of double hung sashes with glazing bars, central 2 storeyed bay winow above the central Doric porch; modillioned cornice below 3rd storey, band between ground and 1st floors, arched doorway with semi-circular fanlight, 6-panel door. The garden elevation is of red brick with plastered parapet, moulded brick cornice, 3-window range to the upper storey (central window Venetian) 5 to the ground floor, band, brick quoins at the angles. The rear wing has been much altered externally, the roof is hipped on the south. The interior of this wing has a staircase of circa 1600 with carved square newels. The interior of the main block has contemporary work (exposed moulded ceiling beams) and many late C18 features, particularly a good open-string staircase of circa 1774. There are C16 brick cellars with a number of arched recesses.
Nos 67 to 75 (consec) and No 1 Queen Street form a group.
Listing includes the garden walls.

-------------------

See http://viewfinder.english-heritage.org.uk/search/reference.aspx?uid=9913...

[In 1719, the house belonged to Robert Havens, but Richard Bowler, cardmaker, is recorded as living in part of the house at that time and, apparently, until 1748.
Isaac Boggis (1), baymaker of Colchester, bought the house from Robert Havens of London, a merchant, in 1731. In 1737 he married Elizabeth Truston of Suffolk, and they had three sons: Thomas Boggis, Isaac Boggis (2) and James Boggis. Elizabeth died in 1745 and Isaac married Ann Tennant, a widow of All Saints' parish. In 1751, Isaac Boggis bought tenements and gardens to the east of the house and these were later used as a counting-house and warehouses. Isaac Boggis (1)'s friends included Charles Gray esq. of Hollytrees and George Wegg esq. of East Hill House. Isaac Boggis (1) died in 1762 and his son Thomas Boggis, baymaker, inherited the property.
In 1763 he married Frances Hills, daughter of baymaker and merchant Michael Hills who lived nearby. Frances died in London in 1775, and Thomas Boggis then remodelled the house in the most fashionable way (JBBBD).
See also 'The house that Boggis built' by John Bensusan-Butt.
The house was remodelled with the Boggis family wealth, derived from the cloth trade in Colchester.]

[A copy of the will of Thomas Boggis esq., dated 19th March 1790, and the deeds of 37 East Hill, are held by the ERO, T/B 294/2.
A copy of the will of Isaac Boggis, dated 4th April 1799, and the deeds of 37 East Hill, is held by the ERO, T/B 294/3.]

[The Minories now houses a department of Colchester Institute art school (from 2009). It is home to the Victor Batte-Lay Trust art collection - see www.vbltcollection.org.uk
During the 20th century the house belonged to Dr Ruth Bensusan-Butt, a woman GP; she was also a women's suffragist, Fabian socialist, and Colchester town councillor. Her son, local historian and author John Bensusan-Butt, also lived here.] [jA]

We include a survey of parts of the timber-frame by Richard Shackle with his permission. The drawings need attention.

Tags:  | Login to post comments