94 MILITARY ROAD (east side) - (the former Cambridge Arms Public House)

Posted by pcrummy


Colchester, ESS
United Kingdom
51° 52' 56.406" N, 0° 54' 35.0928" E
See map: Google Maps

Grade II.
Early C19. Grey gault brick. 2 storeys, 3 windows, sashes with glazing bars, 3-light windows on ground floor. Central door with plain pilastered surrounds. Hipped slate roof.
[1 photo. by jA]

Old postcard, c 1932, by kind permission of J Jephcott.

[In the 1881 Census, the Cambridge Arms was occupied by Charles Perry, Licensed Victualler, and his wife Louisa Perry, their children Arthur, William, George, Baxter and Matilda, with Louisa's father John Mills, Labourer, and two lodgers: Richard Horley, Labourer, and James Shelly, Cook.
In the 1901 Census, the Cambridge Arms were listed at no 83 Military Road.
In 1859, the publican was G Allen.
In the 1901 Census, Frederick Bailey (publican) lived here, with his wife Florence, their three young children, William Brown (a bricklayer, boarding with the family), and one servant, Ellen Upchurch.]

Tags:  | Login to post comments